ATI Readon 5670 > Nvidia gtx 460

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2011 1:48:33 AM

Hi,

So I just installed the 460 but the graphics on Starcraft 2 are now worse than when I had the HD 5670. Why is that?

I don't know if this is relevant but I had to bend the *** out of the bottom part of the metal stubs sticking out of the 460 to fit it in the computer.

More about : ati readon 5670 nvidia gtx 460

a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2011 1:54:09 AM

Plz list your full system specs.(CPU,Mobo,etc.)

List the make/model of your power supply.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2011 11:11:42 AM

bend metal stubs? you dont mean capacitors do you? if so, then you have probably ruined your card. If you have to bend anything apart from the rear metal bracket (i have needed to do this before to fit my case properly) then you are going to have issues.
Score
May 4, 2011 11:51:11 AM

You bent it? Whoops...
Score
May 4, 2011 1:17:29 PM

zekeke85 said:
Hi,

So I just installed the 460 but the graphics on Starcraft 2 are now worse than when I had the HD 5670. Why is that?

I don't know if this is relevant but I had to bend the *** out of the bottom part of the metal stubs sticking out of the 460 to fit it in the computer.

EDIT:

By metal stubs I mean the brackets that hold the end sticking out of the computer with all the place for the outlets-no capicitors. I'm also downloading drivers from NVIDIA but it seems the same driver is available on the cd that came with the purchase, 270.61.

Oh yes, I also have 32 bit XP instaed of the stock VISTA.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2011 1:17:34 PM

Thats fine.As long as you didnt bend anything on the card it will work fine.

Also don't think that PSU can handle a GTX460.You should stop using the graphics card until you can buy a new one.

Basicly the card doesn't have enough power to run at it's full speed so it's downclocking to not burn itself out because of the lack of power.That is why it is performing worse than the 5670.
Score
May 4, 2011 1:30:00 PM

Oh. That's kinda depressing- I bought that PSU just because I was upgrading the video card.

Can you recommend one for me? Cheapest as possible under 100? What about my current PSU isnt good (it's 550W).
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2011 2:13:45 PM

I feel bad for you that PSU is such a rip off.Priced at $70 and it's really worth $30.

The problem with that PSU is that it only has 25amps on the 12/v rail and that means it's only capable of delievering around 200~250 watts on the 12/v rail which is no where near what you need to power a GTX460.This is a common occurance with unreliable power supply makers such as HP that say it deleivers a certain amount but in actualuality it doesn't even deliever close to what they say.

Here's a really decent and reliable PSU.And it's Modular.

Antec 550watt Modular $65+$2 Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 4, 2011 2:19:25 PM

A good quality 500W should be able to handle the GTX460 with ease. The 550W wattage rating doesn't mean much, anyone can slap a sticker on. The real question is how much power the PSU is actually able to deliver under load.

Could you perhaps grab GPU-Z from here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

and use it to see what your card does under full load conditions? Thus, does it achieve full clock speeds?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2011 2:58:39 PM

I agree that you need a new PSU. Corsair or Antec ~500/550W will be fine.

Also, make sure you completely uninstall ATI catalyst and drivers and even run Driver Sweeper.
Score
May 4, 2011 3:01:51 PM

yeah for that matter one of those antec earthwatt 430 watt psus would be just fine, just like in that budget build toms had a while back running a gtx 460 on that psu...
Score
May 4, 2011 3:02:29 PM

the problem is the earthwatts psu is usually not much cheaper than the 500-550 antec so the antec is probably the best choice
Score
May 5, 2011 2:41:42 AM

Thanks everyone for the help.

Should i also invest in a better cooler?

The GTX is SO much louder than the HD 5670 and I'm a little worried it might overheat.
Score
May 5, 2011 11:31:17 AM

^ No. According to all the reviews I've seen, the 460 is one of the coolest cards out there, both at idle and under load. You still need a case with decent ventilation and airflow of course.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2011 1:04:51 PM

zekeke85 said:
EDIT:

By metal stubs I mean the brackets that hold the end sticking out of the computer with all the place for the outlets-no capicitors. I'm also downloading drivers from NVIDIA but it seems the same driver is available on the cd that came with the purchase, 270.61.

Oh yes, I also have 32 bit XP instaed of the stock VISTA.

Your card really came with a cd with drivers that came out about 2 weeks ago?
Yeah, return that PSU if at all possible. This Antec Earthwatts 500w for $50 is a good deal and would be more than enough;
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2011 9:17:41 PM

i'd seriously spend the extra $10 for the Modular.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2011 9:38:50 PM

It's actually $17 more including shipping. It's also a lower segment of Antec's lineup. The EA500D is higher efficiency with Bronze certification and has the same amount of power as the BP550 on the +12v rail despite the supposed 50w lower rating.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2011 11:14:20 PM

I didn't know what modular was back when I bought my PSU.Knowing what it is know I would gladly pay the extra money for the modular.I have a huge nest of 4 pins with no where to put them.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 6, 2011 2:15:11 AM

All my cables fit behind the side panel in my case just fine, it depends on your case i guess. Modular is good though and i would gladly take modular over non-modular. Just depends on what your willing to spend, if your on a strict budget, stick to standard good quality psu's like the antec mentioned above.
Score
May 9, 2011 6:45:18 AM

Thanks a lot all.

One last question I have is once I get my PSU and vid card setup, what kind of monitor should I get?

I heard that the bigger the monitor the more demand on the video card so I want to get one where I can max out the settings on Starcraft 2 with my current specs.

Oh, while I'm at it, best RAM replacement?

Here's the specs:

Processor, Operating System and Memory
Operating system installed
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+ for TRUE multi-tasking
• 2.8GHz, 1MB + 1MB L2 Cache, 2000Hz System Bus
Chipset
NVIDIA nForce 430
Standard memory
3072GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB & 2x512MB for ultimate performance) (expandable to 8GB)
Memory type
DDR2-SDRAM
Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)
Internal drives
Internal hard disk drive
500GB
Hard disk controller
SATA hard drive
Hard disk drive speed
(7200 rpm)
Optical drive type
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Optical drive speed
16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW,, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM
System features
Memory card device
15in1 memory card reader
Modem
56k modem
Network interface
Ethernet 10/100/1000BT integrated network interface
Video adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 623MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®
Video RAM
128MB
Compatible interactive TV services
NTSC TV tuner, over-the-air ATSC high-definition television tuner, and FM tuner (antenna included)
Internal audio
High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
Keyboard
HP Keyboard
Handheld remote control
HP Media Center remote control with IR (infrared) receiver
External drive bays
2 external 5.25" (one available)
External I/O ports
6 USB 2.0 port(s), 2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port(s), Microphone/Headphone; S-Video; Composite Video; Audio inputs (L & R), Microphone/Line-in/Line-out (back), 2 PS/2; Digital Audio-out; LAN; Rear speaker-out/Side speaker-out/Center (subwoofer); VGA-out;
Expansion slots
2 PCI slots (occupied), 1 PCI Express x16 slot slot(s) (occupied)
Software
Included/Pre-installed software
Microsoft® Internet Explorer 7.0; Windows Mail; Adobe® Reader 8.0
Software - education / reference / entertainment
Windows Media Center
Software - internet & online
Internet Solutions (Up to 3 months service included) * Bell Sympatico High Speed Internet * EastLink High Speed Internet Access * Netscape High Speed Internet Service * Netscape Accelerated Internet Service * Shaw High-Speed Internet Access
Software included
Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool; Symantec™ Norton Internet Security™ 2007 (60 days live update)
Dimensions / weight / warranty
Weight
13.80 kg
Package weight
20 kg
Dimensions (w x d x h)
192 x 420 x 385 mm
Package dimensions (W x D x H)
500 x 600 x 340 mm
Warranty Statement
Service Options: - Hardware: One year parts and labor from date of purchase - Software: 90 day technical toll-free phone assistance - Service Delivery: Customer Replaceable Parts; Return to hp for repair; Authorized Service Provider. For information, visit www.hp.ca/support
Score
May 9, 2011 9:04:18 AM

I have the exact same CPU. You won't be able to max SC2 out with it. Believe me, I have tried.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 9, 2011 2:51:53 PM

For RAM, 4-6gb is the most useful amount for gamers, but you also need a 64 bit OS to support more than 3.5 gigs.

Anyway with a GTX 460 you can run games at 1080p with high settings so basically you can get any monitor you want. But definitely the CPU will be a weak point for some games like Starcraft 2. If you can overclock it would help, although it seems like you have a prebuilt which usually lock you out of OCing.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 10, 2011 3:52:50 AM

your CPU is too slow. time for a new motherboard/cpu.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 10, 2011 7:20:48 PM

Herr_Koos said:
I have the exact same CPU. You won't be able to max SC2 out with it. Believe me, I have tried.

This isn't quite true. The CPU can deliver a certain number of frames per second which he may consider inadequate but the GTX 460(once properly powered) will certainly let him max out the graphical settings in the game without decreasing what performance the CPU can actually give. It is true that SC2 specifically is quite CPU bound so if that is the main game the OP is interested in then a CPU upgrade is a good idea but yeah, it will require a new motherboard as well.
Score
May 10, 2011 8:24:00 PM

jyjjy said:
This isn't quite true. The CPU can deliver a certain number of frames per second which he may consider inadequate but the GTX 460(once properly powered) will certainly let him max out the graphical settings in the game without decreasing what performance the CPU can actually give. It is true that SC2 specifically is quite CPU bound so if that is the main game the OP is interested in then a CPU upgrade is a good idea but yeah, it will require a new motherboard as well.

I hear you, so let me put it this way. From practical experience, the CPU will limit the fps long before the 460 reaches the limit of its capability. So to slightly rephrase my statement, the X2 5600 will not give you acceptable frame rates at maximum graphics in SC2.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 10, 2011 8:49:30 PM

The 5600 is quite an old CPU.I think you should just upgrade reguarlesss of what game your trying to play.Those old CPU's can't pull their weight anymore.A GTX460 should easily power thru SC2 and max it out on ultra but that CPU is seriously holding it back.
Score
May 11, 2011 9:37:56 PM

Ok, so I finally got my PSU in the mail, the antec 550W that purple_stank rec. but now I need to connect 2 6 pin pci express connections. the PSU comes with an 8 pin PCI e cable that splits into 6pin and 2pin.

How do I connect this?????????
Score
May 11, 2011 9:46:05 PM

also, the back of the PSU has 4 12v1/HDD slots and 1 12v3 PCI-E/HDD slot.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 11, 2011 9:57:35 PM

The PSU should already have x2 6 pins for the GPU.It should have a 6pin and a 6+2pin.Only use the 6 pin part of the 6+2pin or what you call the 8pin.

Did you end up buying the modular one?
Score
May 11, 2011 10:03:39 PM

Even though this is so frustrating, I'm learning so much about computers. I might even build one soon ^^
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 11, 2011 10:11:03 PM

I was the same way about 6 months ago.Once you get all the basics down it becomes really really fun.

Did you get the modular version?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 11, 2011 11:37:25 PM

Yeah, it's really quite easy to physically put together a computer these days. The harder part is knowing what parts to get but that's what site's like this are for.
Score
May 12, 2011 4:04:29 AM

THanks guys it is the modular one but where's the other 6pin?

There's the 6pin and 2pin that come straight out of the PSU box but I dont see the 2nd 6pin.
Score
May 12, 2011 4:05:09 AM

Well, actually I might just say F this and buy a new PC. Any recommendations for under 800?
Score
May 12, 2011 7:37:50 AM

zekeke85 said:
THanks guys it is the modular one but where's the other 6pin?

There's the 6pin and 2pin that come straight out of the PSU box but I dont see the 2nd 6pin.

Whoa there, no need to panic. Grab a molex-to-6pin adapter and use two 4-pin molex connectors to create the second 6pin. Here's an example:

Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2011 2:21:12 PM

Make sure you read the PSU's instructions for how to install the other 6pin.Since it's modular you will have to plug in the 6 pin to the PSU.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2011 5:13:54 PM

zekeke85 said:
Well, actually I might just say F this and buy a new PC. Any recommendations for under 800?

Considering you already have the card and the PSU $800 is actually more than you have to spend to build a nice system. Something like this would be good;
i5-2500K + MSI P67A-G43 (B3) 1155 Motherboard - $335 + $8 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM - $40

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive - $65

Antec 300 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $60

LITE-ON Black SATA CD/DVD Burner - $22

That's $530 shipped. If you are willing to spend more an SSD boot drive would be the best way to do so IMO;
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB Solid State Drive - $125($110 after MIR)
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2011 5:27:56 PM

Wow.Thats a nice lookin build.Yes the SSD is really worth it.I bought that exact same one.
I would also also reccomend buying a really good aftermarket cooler for the CPU.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 12, 2011 5:29:06 PM

What card did you have again?
Score
May 13, 2011 12:23:26 AM

a gtx 460.

Are all those items compatible together?

I think if I salvage my current computer I can save a little more: cd/dvd drive, HD.

I do think I'd like the SSD HD though, I've heard it's pretty fast and it would nice to just turn windows on and booom its there.
Score
May 13, 2011 12:26:38 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Whoa there, no need to panic. Grab a molex-to-6pin adapter and use two 4-pin molex connectors to create the second 6pin. Here's an example:

I have the piece I think but the 6pin end 2 of the 6 holes are missing metals conductors. I've tried to hook it up connecting it to the extra connection from the dvd drive and the harddrive but it doesnt do anything.

The PSU also came with a red 6pin cable with 4 metal conductors in the 6 of the holes to a full 6pin but again that doesnt seem to power the vid card.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 13, 2011 12:33:34 AM

They should already have the 6pin and the 6+2pin non modular,which means it comes with it so oyu don't plug anything in.All the 4pins should be modular,you have to plug them in if you want to use them.

Yes all of that stuff is compatible with your current hardware.Really in that build all you need is the PSU and GPU which you already have.You can salavage the CD Drive and the HD but their only $20 a piece it's not really saving much.
The SSD is super fast,I have that specific one.I use it for Windows and I can fit about 4 normal sized games on it,putting games on SSD's speed's up loading times for maps and startups.
Score
May 13, 2011 12:35:31 AM

huh? are we talking about the 2 4 pins that plug into the motherboard (power peripherals)?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 13, 2011 12:44:32 AM

The 24 pin is to give the motherboard power.The 4 pins are molex for fans and auxlilary power for other things.
I'm just saying that you don't need any molex adapters for your card.It already comes with the connectors for a GPU.
Score
May 13, 2011 12:50:43 AM

ok, I'm a little confused now so let me clarify.

I do have the 6+2pin and it has a sticker on it saying 8 pin PCI-E. From what I understand, I can use this to connect one of the 6pin outlets on the card. And it does work when it's in by itself. The card kinda turns on and off about 4-5 times @ startup then the fan just runs normally.

Now to plug the 2nd 6 pin in the card, I don't know what I can use. I've tried using the 12v3 outlet on the back of the PSU via a 6pin to 6pin cable but that hasnt worked. I've tried using molex adapters to jurryrigg a connection using the excess from the harddrive and dvd drive cables but that doesnt work either.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 13, 2011 12:54:20 AM

If they give you a 6pin to 6pin adapter then thats going to be for the GPU.It shouldn't matter which one you plug it into.
Score
May 13, 2011 12:58:00 AM

oh, so does all 6 sockets in the 6 pin have to conduct? I think that might be the reason the vid card just doesnt even trun on when I insert the 6pin to 6pin. Only 4 sockets out of 6 have metal conductors inside that I can see.
Score
May 13, 2011 1:16:53 AM

BTW, will the processor be good enough for games 1-2 years into the future? I play almost SC2 exclusively but 2 more expansions are coming out next year I think.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
May 13, 2011 1:23:39 AM

It's possible the other 2 conductors are on the GPU power,for what reason I don't know.

Your current processor the 64 x2 will not be suffient for the next year at maximum.You are already severly bottlenecking the GTX460.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!