ajja22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hey, my specs

Video Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
CPU: Intel Pentium Duel Core E5700 @ 3.0GHz
PSU: Something at 250w
RAM: 4gb ddr2

My question is whether I need to upgrade my PSU in order to get a new graphics card, specifically the GeForce GT218 (ION) 512MB DDR3. I really don't think so, but a simple yes or know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if it works without a psu upgrade.
It's a GT210 which is low end desktop(work) gpu and powered by the pci slot.
I wouldn't hesistate to try the card out.
I can't see any reason to upgrade your psu.
I wouldn't expect much in gaming performance if that's what you're after.
You won't find any.

250W is nothing. It will probably work, but not as it should.
Even though it is powered by PCI-e port. It still draws significantly more power through the motherboard.
You will just be putting the PSU under strain and risk damaging it and possibly the rest of your system.

So he should hesitate davcon.

And? Its 30.5Watt actually. On older smaller PSU's the 12Volt rail carries less than 75% of the load.

So his CPU is 65 Watt, 30Watt on GPU, board need another 30W or so, DIMS 10W, HDD 10W and DVD-writer another 10W. That gives you 155W (an optimistic estimate).
Now as 12V rail is the ACTUAL wattage of a PSU. 75percent of 250W is +/- 187W
Allowing for degradation of the PSU over time I would say defintiely say get a new PSU, they are cheap for goodness sake.

Oh and minimum on the Nvidia site is 300W, and adding another 100W minimum to that and I have still seen systems give problems and they have nothing extra in them but the necessary.

Also, you noticed he said that its something at 250W, he isn't sure.

You should post the rest of your specs.
As it stands what you've posted, ( E5700, GT210, 2x2 ram ) in a basic system ( single HD, single OD and a couple of fans ), would have a hard time putting a 50% load on a 250 watt psu.
Check out the AC power draw of an overclocked I7 Quad and a GT210, just don't take to much stock in the power reccomendation
http://www.guru3d.com/article/inno3d-geforce-gt-210-and-220-review/4

186 watts from the wall, call the psu 85% efficient ( could be higher, don't know what model )
186*.85 = 158 watt DC load on the psu with a water-cooled, overclocked quad, you're not likely to come anywhere near that with an E5700.

Why don't you pick up a 5450 and try it out.
They are sold for under $30 here in Canada.
The GT 210 would work also imo.
delluser1 did a good summary of your power requirements.
Looks like he's in agreement with using a low power gpu with your current psu.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

Graphics OEMs always recommend more than you need because they don't want you to blame them just in case you bought a cheap minimum psu. Apparently my Antec Earthwatts 380 can play Radeon 6850 even though it says here you need 500 watts.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161384

Just because ti runs doesn't mean its running like it should, I wish you good luck, thats gonna end ugly.