SBLive Recording Problems

G

I have an A7V, 900MHz T-Bird, SBLive, IBM Deskstar 75GXP on ATA100, Winfast GeForceMX, using WIN98SE. I am having trouble recording with my SBLIve. I have installed all the lasted drivers (Via, Promise, GeforceMX, SBLive, etc). The recorded sound is VERY nolsy/distorted using line-in recording at all volume control settings of the input level. I have also tried the card in every slot with only the video card present with the same results. All Playback including game effects, MIDI, pre-recorded waves, etc. all play back perfectly.

These unusable recorded wave files occur when using Windows Recorder, cooledit, goldwave to name a few. BUT !!! cakewalk Pro and SoundForge Demos both seem to work without any distortion? What could be causing this problem?

G

Windows does a really stupid thing that you may have not noticed. It defaults your recording settings to 8bit mono 8,000 kHz. Deffinatly not CD quality. Cakewalk probally overrides this. On sound recorder, click on File, Properties, then click the Convert Now button. Where the Name: drop down box is, change this to the CD Quality option. Now it should sound better when you record.

Hope this helps!

-Vkoslak

G

Still Not Resolved... Those setting are all 16 bit stereo CD quality in all non-working programs. I also have this same behavior on another SBLive card that I borrowed for testing. It has to be some type of driver problem. Surely there is someone else with this problem.

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What exactly are you trying to record from,.. (TV card, stereo reciever, microphone, data file, etc.)? Have you tried recording through a Stereo Mixer or muting the microphone if not in use? I couldn't tell you if it was a audio driver problem though because I have a Vortex 2 card.

G

Recording from Line-In from a cassette deck which is the only input selected in the mixer.

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The noise distortion may be due to some kind of external and/or internal signal interference which the Cakewalk Pro and SoundForge programs can help keep out excessive noise and hiss from the recording process by using a Noise Gate effect. I believe SoundForge also uses a Parametric EQ and a Paragraphic EQ to minimize sound distortion but I don't believe any of these features are available for the Windows Recorder and GoldWave. Have you tried to use GoldWave's Noise Reduction feature to help reduce the noise distortions?

G

It may be the microphone, do you have another to try!.

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!

G

In recordings in my case dubbing. I have the same troubles with the line in on the live. I am using the Live Value OEM and there is no gain like there was on the SB16 for one thing.

My question to you is do you find that the volume is lower than you like and you have to turn up the volume louder to hear your work now?? I know this happened to me.

I am thinking of getting a 10gb gain box to raise the audio so I can get better control........