marks
Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Sapphire 6850 freakin out on me? help!

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2011 6:20:39 AM

MSI Mobo W/ Phenom X6 3200
4 GB 1600 ram
Win 7

I got those parts first (mobo has onboard video) and everything worked fine. Had an older 400W power supply that was powering it. everything worked except games sucked w/ onboard vid. (of course)

Then joy of joys i got my new 6850 and a Thermaltake 600W PS, and life was going to be just swell....but it aint.

i am having bizarre issues.

(Now i should explain that i have not exhaustively researched this yet, but the little i have has lead me to suspect i might have gotten a bad vid card, or possibly power supply...so any insight in that would be appreciated since i have a limited amount of time to return it.)

the issues:

1. Windows will get strange colored pixels seemingly randomly, but other times be fine. (I have started to notice that it may happen when theres a progress bar somewhere in the window)

2. I only have fallout 3 installed ATM, but that game has strange flashes and trippy lights and lines when it first loads to the actual game world...but then they sort of subside after awhile and its totally playable with the occasional acid trip weird light show.

so 2 strange graphical problems that are not causing any instability that i know of but are very annoying, and then theres this:

3. Not sure if this is related but the Mobo take forever to POST. just sits there, fans spinning, for a good 30-40 secs...then finally fans speed up and then the beep.

4. I have 2 LCD monitors hooked up but it is not recognizing the bottom DVI plug in. weird pixel issues happen on both displays.

Things I am wondering:
1. Is that power supply good enough for what i got? (provided it aint a lemon)
2.would a brand new vid card have problems like this but be otherwise stable?
3. is there really a god? (HA j/k) :sol: 

thank you for your support

More about : sapphire 6850 freakin

a c 750 ) Power supply
May 4, 2011 6:24:17 AM

1) PSU has specs that are higher than you system requires.
2) It happens that people get faulty GPU's!
3) Would you have a broken PC?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2011 6:27:29 AM

Sounds like you got a bad card and/or it may be overheating. Check the temps with a program like Afterburner.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2011 6:52:17 AM

temps are fine according to AMD VISION control center.
m
l
May 4, 2011 7:26:11 AM

If you have a reference card with the 1 position 2 position switch, flick it to the other
position. My MSI card came with the switch in the bios position and it ran like crap, it
was running with 64mb of ram mem. and it really sucked until I put the switch in the
correct running position. Your problems sound similar to the crap mine was pulling
running on the bios setting. ;) 

m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2011 8:43:01 AM

I don't think the HD6850 usually has a bios switch.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2011 11:08:55 AM

"3. Not sure if this is related but the Mobo take forever to POST. just sits there, fans spinning, for a good 30-40 secs...then finally fans speed up and then the beep."
My motherboard has a BIOS update for it that fixes that exact issue with newer AMD/ATI cards. maybe check for a BIOS update for your motherboard. If not that, then the vid card is probably faulty. Have you plugged the power connector into the video card? Also, there are some really bad thermaltake psu's out at the moment, particularly some of the TR2 series. What is the exact make and model of your psu?
May 4, 2011 6:49:22 PM

Sorry, misread. Thought I saw 6950. need glasses.
m
l
May 4, 2011 7:43:05 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
" Also, there are some really bad thermaltake psu's out at the moment, particularly some of the TR2 series. What is the exact make and model of your psu?

TR2 600W :o 

awww man did i get a bunch of crap???

@crowe: good idea. its posted slow since day 1 with all sorts of diff vid cards in so thats a good place to start.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2011 7:49:06 PM

The TR2 series is pretty bad but it should still be able to handle an HD6850.
m
l
May 4, 2011 8:19:13 PM

So is there some sort of test that you can do to be able to say "this card is officially broken"?
m
l
May 4, 2011 8:40:05 PM

greenreapertt said:
So is there some sort of test that you can do to be able to say "this card is officially broken"?

Posting problem aside...

Have you:

1. Updated your drivers, remove old, install new (may clear up the screen flashes and pixels, if that doesn't work, casts more doubt on the hardware in the card)
2. Tried another or the older video card
3. Tested the power supply for stability (a cheap power tester for the PS will go a long way)

m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 5, 2011 3:43:38 AM

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-... if its a TR2 RX unit then its probably no good, but you wont be running it past 50% capacity so you should be fine. I have a thermaltake tr2 470w and it has been running my highly oc'd 8800gts and OC'd core 2 duo for over 4 years, so they cant be that bad. and i think a 6850 would probably use less power than my 8800gts. There are huge differences between the old TR2 series and the new ones also.
m
l
a c 750 ) Power supply
May 5, 2011 4:31:52 AM

greenreapertt said:

Can you try it in another computer?
m
l
May 5, 2011 8:00:02 AM

rolli59 said:
Can you try it in another computer?

*grumbles* it would be a hell of a pain. but maybe i should...
m
l
a c 750 ) Power supply
May 5, 2011 8:08:16 AM

greenreapertt said:
*grumbles* it would be a hell of a pain. but maybe i should...

Then you know for sure!
m
l
May 5, 2011 8:09:42 AM

gokanis said:
Posting problem aside...

Have you:

1. Updated your drivers, remove old, install new (may clear up the screen flashes and pixels, if that doesn't work, casts more doubt on the hardware in the card)
2. Tried another or the older video card
3. Tested the power supply for stability (a cheap power tester for the PS will go a long way)

1. this was a clean install, brand new drivers.
2. the onboard video worked slow but fine, if that counts
3. havent tested it but i'm inching closer to sending this card back. i installed GTA4 and the exact same flashes happened.

m
l
May 6, 2011 1:45:28 PM

Well, for future reference heres what i did:

1. updated the BIOS. (that fixed the long POST, so yay, and thanks crowe! tho i do feel a tad stupid for not just doing that first)

2. removed all video drivers and took the 6850 out.

3. loaded the onboard video drivers, and everything worked fine.

4. removed all those drivers again, and put the offending 6850 back in, installed brand new downloaded drivers

5. had same problem, RMS'ed its ass. :pfff: 
m
l
May 6, 2011 1:46:07 PM

Best answer selected by greenreapertt.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 6, 2011 5:06:17 PM

Yeah, sometimes you just get a bad card. Not much you can do.
m
l
!