lieutenantfrost

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Im building a high end gaming rig. intel, gtx 590, from what I've read so far I should be going for a z77 board, but Im not sure which model would be the best choice. When I was researching last year I recall some boards offered 8x8 PCI lanes? and some offered 16x16? I apologize if my terminalology is incorrect here. Im not concerned with cost too much, I just want to make sure the board is somewhat future proof in regards to expandability going forward and will give me the best preformance

lieutenantfrost

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Was also concerned about this

"If you plan to OC an 860 heavily, don't buy a motherboard with a Foxconn socket."

How can I be sure that the board Im looking at doesn't have a foxconn socket? is it displayed somewhere?

Well first thing is that the Intel® Core™ i7-860 uses socket 1156; while the Z77 chipset based board uses socket 1155 so they are not compatible.

Now as far as your question on PCI-e and 16x or 8x lanes. On the older H67/P67 or Z68 chipset if you try to add a second card in additional PCI-E 16x slot the slots would scale down to give you two slots at x8/x8. Even at that the most you weren't losing much in the performance with an SLI or Xfire configuration. It is important to note that the Z77 chipset does the samething but since the board uses PCI-E 3.0 cutting the bandwidth in half you are still getting the bandwidth that you would have from a full PCI-E 2.0 16x.

I personally have never heard anything about a Foxconn socket issue.