pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
As most of us are disappointed in the new BD benchmarks, people like me who had started purchasing parts over a month ago are the most disappointed. This thread is for people who actually know about upgrades, and not trolls, or fanboys.

I'm currently operating on a AM2+, 940x4 (3.5ghz oc'd), 8gb (4x2) ddr2 940mhz. My mobo is Gigabyte with 2x8 PCI Express slots when 2 gpus are occupied. Here's the problem, I recently upgraded to a 6870 x2, then I have GTX 460 (physx) in the second slot (used mod hacks), so I know that I have a serious bottleneck with my gpu since the 6870 x2 is in a x8 slot. A dual card in an x8 slot is taboo, I know.

Over a month ago I purchased an Asus Sabretooth AM3+ mobo that has 2x16 slots, that way when BD came out, I could slide it in. This would fix my gpu bottleneck problem, however, given the unfavourable BD benchmarks, I'm stuck wondering if I should sell this on ebay or go ahead and and finish the upgrade to a BD? I would still need to purchase the cpu and ram to finish. I know there would be an big advantage in switching to a fast ddr3 ram as well. Some of you really do know what you are talking about, and I could use your advice.

I do the occasional photo shop, etc, but mostly gaming. Givin the situation, would I see a substantial increase at least gaming wise if I continue the upgrade; 20%, 30%? I know there are no gaming benchmarks out there for comparison, but I'm wondering what kind of increase in performance I would see if I went the AM3+ way.

Oh, and the gpu I upgraded from is a GTX 295, which believe it or not, actually outperforms the 6870 x2. Maybe it's just the x8 slot it's occupying.

Thanx ahead of time.

well, serves you right for not waiting for benchmarks before buying something. If this is a gaming build, obviously dont bother with bulldozer. Since you already have the new motherboard, just use it, sell your old cpu, MB and ram, and buy some DDR3 and a phenom x4 955 and OC it. Either that or sell the lot and get yourself an intel setup.