Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Upgrade: SBE? 2600K? IB?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 12, 2011 7:17:42 AM

So I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU, here's my current setup:

Fractal Design R3 White
Asus Sabretooth X58
i-7 960 (OCed to 4.6ghz)
Dual Gigabyte GTX 580s (To be OCed)
OCZ Vertex 120gb SSD
2 500GB Samsung HDDs in Raid0
6 GB Kingston DDR3 Triple Channel (I think, off of memory) ram (3x2gb)
1000W CoolerMaster PSU
Liquid Cooled with Laing (Vario) Pump, 2 loop: 2.120 for CPU and 3.120 for GPUs

I know that my CPU is bottlenecking my performance right now. So I'm stuck between the following options:

a) Buy a 2600k and OC that
b) Buy the hex core SBE when that's released
c) Wait for the Ivy Bridge platform and get whatever top of the range processor they release with that

The system is used exclusively for two things:
a) Gaming
b) Folding when I'm in a giving mood

I know that I may have to upgrade my mobo, which I'm fine with doing. Also side question has any pricing/processor information been released regarding Ivy Bridge? What's the top of the line gonna be like in terms of features and pricing?

Thanks guys

More about : cpu upgrade sbe 2600k

October 12, 2011 9:54:07 AM

...quad post?

anyway again.......i7 960 on p67 board? that cnt be ur current setup........
m
0
l
October 12, 2011 10:03:12 AM

If I have a quad post, I'm really sorry. I kept having a problem where when I put post new topic I'd get taken to a page where it said forum down or something, and if I tried after that I'd get a flood message warning. I don't see any of the other posts so if a mod could remove the others It would be greatly appreciated.

Also yes my mistake (again...) it's the Asus X58 Sabretooth, knew it was from the sabretooth series, just wrong one :na: 


EDIT: Mods/Admins or whoever I should report this to, everytime I reply I always get the same message, it takes me to a page with the tomshardware logo saying site unavailable...dunno why that's happening
m
0
l
October 12, 2011 10:41:38 AM

I'd wait for SB-E or IB if you can. Your quality might take a hit for a little while but as long as your games are playable then I think waiting for new technology is the best option, especially Ivy Bridge. It just seems a really bad time to be buying or upgrading. I think patience might be the best option here.
m
0
l
!