wenqi

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
hi guys, a friend of mine wants to buy a new PC, he only wants to use two shops though

Approximate Purchase Date: about this month

Budget Range: $1400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Flash and other animation software (IDK), 3d editing and Gaming

Parts Not Required: Mouse, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ONLY USING www.msy.com.au and www.pcdiy.com.au (pricelists and vendor promotion lists included)

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: Microsoft comfort curve 2000

Overclocking: Later

SLI or Crossfire: Later

Monitor Resolution: Buying one

Additional Comments: MUST USE the preferred websites and preferably all parts from the one website (he wants them to put it together for him), CPU and Mobo MUST come from the same website (to qualify for OEM OS)

This is what i have recommended him, all from PCDIY (to get the free assembly):

CASE: NZXT LEXA S BLACK STEEL $89
POWER SUPPLY: ANTEC TP-750W $139
RAM: 8GB KIT 1600 (4GB x 2) G.Skill RIPJAWS-XL $80
DVD DRIVE: SATA SAMSUNG $25
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3R-B3 $178
CPU: CORE i7 2600K 3.4GHz $316
HARDRIVE: 1TB WD (FAEX BLACK) $87
GRAPHICS: ATI RADEON 6950 2GB ASUS $262
MONITOR: 22" BENQ E2200HD $139
KEYBOARD: MICROSOFT CURVE 2000 $25
SPEAKER SYSTEM: JUSTER 6D-607 $35

TOTAL: $1375

I know he might not need the i7, but he insisted (i first recommended a i5-2500k with a GTX 570, but he insisted on i7 with 6950). i do know about the Samsung spinpoint F3, but he doesn't want to shop on the internet (these sites have local stores). the keyboard was his idea, so he probably wants to keep it that way

Thanks in advance

swoonpappy

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Since his #1 priority is flash and 3d editing sticking with the i7 is probably not a bad idea.

He may however want a better monitor, maybe an IPS one as oppose to a TN screen but he would have to go over budget.

Get the 1GB 6950 if he is only using 1 monitor and save some money.

The Samsung Spinpoint f3 and WD Black are virtually the same so get whatever is cheaper.

matthebat

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Get the 1GB 6950 if he is only using 1 monitor and save some money.

The Samsung Spinpoint f3 and WD Black are virtually the same so get whatever is cheaper

Have you even looked at the pricelist? There is $4 difference between the two!

PCDIY don't have a spinpoint f3 (not sure about MSY) so he's obviously not going to do that.

I agree that sticking with the i7 is a good idea though and he should probably get a better monitor. But why don't you try telling him what the monitor that he should get is?

I think that he should probably get (if he chooses to upgrade his screen) a samsung b2440l
even though it would put him over budget by $75
So maybe he could stick with his current keyboard and speaker system FOR NOW.
Until he can go that much over budget.

wenqi

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
the reason why he is changing his keyboard not mouse is because a few keys have fallen out of his keyboard, after getting him to read some reviews on i5 vs i7, the first thing he said after that was, what about in 5 years time? (he thinks he is still going to have the computer then, not impossible as he is currently running a pentium D from god knows when) so what screen do you think he should get?

NOTE: PLEASE READ THE NOTE ON MY FIRST POST

matthebat

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
If he is choosing the screen and he can't get the samsung, I'd say stick with the Benq (I know it's a bad brand but this one doesn't look too bad) or get the Philips 232E2SB.

I also think he should get the Gigabyte Geforce GTX570 (1280MB) (it's $100 more but it's worth it). Plus if he still needs his computer in 5 years and the graphics card isn't cutting it, you just have to get another one, the Motherboard that he has supports SLI (at x8 x8) so it's better.

NOTE: If he can't afford to go that far over budget, get the GTX560Ti (The ATI only beats it when the computer has a higher rez) and my current graphics card (GTX570) is performing really well with a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution (which is what the screens are).