Extreme7 Gen3 Strange Problem w/ Video Card Installed

meomer

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Strange problem that I would like thoughts on.

I just put together a new rig using an Asrock Extreme7 Gen3. The BIOS version is 2.3 (just updated). It's paired with an Ivy Bridge proc and a Mushkin RAM kit. I have two, 2TB drives configured as a RAID 0 using the onboard Intel controller. The OS installed successfully and is performing well and problem free. After the build, I attempted to add a known good AMD ATI Eyefinity 5970. This is where the strangeness kicks in <starts to pull hair out>.

With the video card installed--no matter what slot--the computer hangs while loading the Intel controller BIOS. The entire Intel BIOS screen loads, but hangs on the screen. I have tried a number of things to remedy the problem including resetting the BIOS, setting the primary video to PCI, etc.

Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

meomer

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007

Your assumption is correct. The mobo is an Asrock Z68.

My UEFI does not have any language that I can find related to d-mode or i-mode.
Graphic adapter is set to PCI-e
Memory is set to 64MB
Multi-monitor is enabled.

meomer

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007

The settings already matched your recommendations. Still no joy. Same problem.

I'm considering using the non-Intel controller and simply rolling with a single disk--though I love the disk performance I'm getting with the RAID 0.

To be clear - when the HD 5970 is removed and you're using the iGPU ports everything is fine and dandy i.e. no problems?

IF that's the case boot into Windows (iGPU) and uninstall Lucid and reboot, then power off (shutdown) and try the HD 5970 in the very top PCIe slot with the BIOS settings above and making certain the 6 pin / 8 pin power to the GPU is properly connected. Failure use the 4-pin Molex AUX on the MOBO behind the sound ports.

/edit - I also assume a 650W or larger PSU.
/edit - RAID or not the Intel are the best ports to use.

meomer

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007

With the 5970 removed, the system works great. No problems whatsoever.

I followed your instructions by:

1. Booting into Windows using the iGPU
2. Uninstalled the Lucid software
3. Shutdown and installed the 5970 in the top PCIe slot
4. Made sure that the 6 and 8-pin powers leads were connected to the 5970.
5. I also plugged in the 4-pin molex power that's just above the top PCIe slot.

The system booted once and then won't reboot again. Sits on the Intel "BIOS" screen. The Asrock give me an error 62 on the mobo readout.

PSU is 650W.

meomer

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007

I'm fairly certain that I went with the defaults which would mean MBR. Should I try to reinitialize using GPT? Think that would resolve the problem?

Don't know, but I know any partition >2.2TB on MBR is a problem.

Warning - I've never converted a boot drive from MBR to GPT, I've only done clean installs of GPT and MBR; here's a guide Use At your Own Risk - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26193-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-disk.html

Instead 'I' would backup my data, reformat and start from scratch ; nice guide see:
'How to make a bootable Windows 7 USB for the UEFI motherboard and GPT format install:'
- http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

meomer

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007

I'm chalking this up to a bad motherboard. I tried an Nvidia GT 430 today. Video card worked fine for the first couple of boots but then started responding in the same manner as the beefier card. While I could point the finger at the PSU, it's a one-year old Seasonic that was working problem free with a X38 mobo paired with a Q6600--both of which drew more juice.

Thanks very much for all of your help and suggestions.

Next stop, N**Egg to pick up a trusty Asus mobo.

Well that's odd "Video card worked fine for the first couple of boots" and would seem to suggest the MOBO. About the only tell tail sign of a failing PSU is to unplug it from the wall for about 10-15 minutes then try again, if the 'process' goes further then often that's a sign of a bad capacitor i.e. bad PSU.

Let me know how it turns out and Good Luck!