SABERTOOTH X79 CPU Fan Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschlute

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,

I just started this build yesterday, and this is my first build so I'm not entirely sure where the problem lies. The parts in use and in question are listed below:

-Asus Sabertooth x79 mobo
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Everything else seems to be working properly on initial boot except for this heat sink. I have this fan plugged into the correct 4-pin CPU_FAN located on the top of the mobo. When I get to the POST it tells me there is a "CPU Fan Error" and to "Press F1 to Run Setup" which leads me to the BIOS.

In the advance settings it displays N/A along side the CPU Fan, which leads me to think its not picking it up or detecting it. I have also tried changing the upper limit of the fan to a lower temperature to see if a higher temperature would trigger the fan, but no success yet. I've included pictures of the mobo connection, POST, and BIOS screens. Any advice to get the fan up and running will be greatly appreciated.

photo31.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo11.jpg

Solution
The signal wire on the CM 212 EVO's fan is 'bad' which is the real issue. My best advice is to contact either Cooler Master or your retailer and request a replacement fan -- that solution is by far easiest on everyone involved.

For the meantime I'd simply use, if you have one, a spare 120mm fan until this can get sorted out.

--

Try the CM fan in a different 'FAN Header' and see what happens.

aschlute

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply!

I took you suggestion and plugged the rear exhaust fan into the CPU Fan Header and it worked once I booted it. I'm guessing the problem lies in the CM 212 EVO rather than the MOBO so I guess I should bring that in and get it replaced.

Unless you have other suggestions that could be the reasoning?

Thanks for your help!

The signal wire on the CM 212 EVO's fan is 'bad' which is the real issue. My best advice is to contact either Cooler Master or your retailer and request a replacement fan -- that solution is by far easiest on everyone involved.

For the meantime I'd simply use, if you have one, a spare 120mm fan until this can get sorted out.

--

Try the CM fan in a different 'FAN Header' and see what happens.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.