Plz help with installation of video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

goombah

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hi, can someone help a noob.

I'm trying to install a video card as my other one stopped working, in the interim I had been using the onboard video.

My system cannot boot up with the new video card plugged in.

This is what I had done so far:

1. Uninstall ATI catalyst software/drivers for previous video card
2. In BIOS, select option to put onboard video first (no option to disable onboard video)
3. Try to boot up into safe mode; can get to the screen where you can select Safe Mode or VGA mode but then it hangs there. Either that or it goes black.

Specs:
XP
2.67 ghz Intel Pentium 4
1 gb RAM
Motherboard: Aopen i1915GM-l
350w power

New video card: Zotac geForce gt 430.

I am stumped and have no idea how to get around this!!

The Zotac manual says: some LCD display monitors go blank during Windows booting:
1. "some LCD display monitor needs special driver software -- install the driver software for the LCD display monitor"
---> I have IBM 19" Thinkvision 9419, I had looked on the IBM website and there only seems to be a display driver.
2. "current setting of display resolution is beyond the capability of the LCD display"=Enter Windows safe mode and set a lower resolution
-->cannot enter safe mode as system freezes

Solution
It's possible that your motherboard is not recignizing the card because it is such an old mobo and the card is realtively newer than the motherboard.
You will have to Flash your BIOS but i'm not able to find anything on that mobo.It's probabal that they discontinued support for this motherboard.In otherwords I don't think it's going to work.
It's possible that your motherboard is not recignizing the card because it is such an old mobo and the card is realtively newer than the motherboard.
You will have to Flash your BIOS but i'm not able to find anything on that mobo.It's probabal that they discontinued support for this motherboard.In otherwords I don't think it's going to work.

Solution

goombah

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Minimum system requirements for the video card:

PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0 compliant motherboard with one dual width x16 graphics slot
Minimum 300W or greater power supply (with a minimum 12v current rating of 22A)
Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon XP class processor or higher
200 mb of hd space
1 gb memory (2 gb recommended)
Windows 7, Vista or XP

I'm guessing your mobo just needs a BIOS update but their are none to be found.

It is also possible your power supply isn't powerful enough to support the graphics card,in the technical spec of your power supply it states the normal amps on the 12/v rail is 7 and 4 but the maximum it says is 14 and 8 if it's running at a normal state than it is underpowering the Graphics card.Either way it look slike your power supply is only barely able to power it.
Wether it works or not I think you should buy a new power supply.Or you could try a different less powerful graphics card.

goombah

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

Thanks purple stank for your information and how quick your response was.

I was able to find the motherboard bios info in the aopen museum of products category and flashed an older bios fix for the freezing and I was able to login to Windows.

goombah

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hi purple. I'm able to boot up normally into Windows with the graphics card plugged in and am currently having a few driver installation issues, I'm assuming that once I get the drivers installed properly everything will work okay.

goombah

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I was trying to run the software installation program and it was freezing when it was installing the components. I'm currently on Nivida website downloading drivers.

goombah

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Able to get dual display going and everything now. All drivers are installed now and everything looks good to go. Thanks purple again, really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.