Gameboy Rom Question

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

I have the DS. I realize it cannot play Gameboy/GBC games. Is this because
there is no slot or because it actually can't play the games? If you get the
older GB/GBC roms and put them on a flash cart will the DS be able to play
them? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about gameboy question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    SW> I have the DS. I realize it cannot play Gameboy/GBC games. Is this
    SW> because there is no slot or because it actually can't play the
    SW> games?

    The Gameboy Advance can play all Gameboy games because inside it,
    seperate from the GBA hardware, there's all the GBC hardware. They
    aren't really compatible - in a GBA you basically have 2 totally
    different gameboys. The DS includes the GBA hardware minues the GBC
    hardware, thus lacking the capability to play GBC games.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    But what about the gb gbc emulators for the gba so no bridge is needed, if
    you emulate the gb/gbc then it should work.

    Regards

    Graham

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 Steven Wandy <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote:
    > I have the DS. I realize it cannot play Gameboy/GBC games. Is this because
    > there is no slot or because it actually can't play the games? If you get the
    > older GB/GBC roms and put them on a flash cart will the DS be able to play
    > them? Thanks.

    Yes, but you need to also upload a GB emulator onto the flash cart. You
    can't play GB roms on a flash cart directly.
    --

    "I hear ma train a comin'
    .... hear freedom comin"

    >> The Gameboy Advance can play all Gameboy games because inside it,
    >> seperate from the GBA hardware, there's all the GBC hardware. They
    >> aren't really compatible - in a GBA you basically have 2 totally
    >> different gameboys. The DS includes the GBA hardware minues the GBC
    >> hardware, thus lacking the capability to play GBC games.

    Yup, possibly. But until someone makes the emulator we wont know.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Lorfarius" <fsddsfds@sdfds.com> wrote in message

    >>> The Gameboy Advance can play all Gameboy games because inside it,
    >>> seperate from the GBA hardware, there's all the GBC hardware. They
    >>> aren't really compatible - in a GBA you basically have 2 totally
    >>> different gameboys. The DS includes the GBA hardware minues the GBC
    >>> hardware, thus lacking the capability to play GBC games.

    > Yup, possibly. But until someone makes the emulator we wont know.

    Goomba does a very good job of emulating quite a few GB games on the GBA
    using GBA hardware, as the GB hardware is inaccessible from the GBA point of
    view. With this in mind, Goomba should also run on the DS, as that runs GBA
    software, which Goomba is.

    D.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    cant you just throw in your cartridge into the DS and start playing? its
    still running off GBA hardware not GBC
    "Stimp" <ren@spumco.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 Steven Wandy <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote:
    >> I have the DS. I realize it cannot play Gameboy/GBC games. Is this
    >> because
    >> there is no slot or because it actually can't play the games? If you get
    >> the
    >> older GB/GBC roms and put them on a flash cart will the DS be able to
    >> play
    >> them? Thanks.
    >
    > Yes, but you need to also upload a GB emulator onto the flash cart. You
    > can't play GB roms on a flash cart directly.
    > --
    >
    > "I hear ma train a comin'
    > ... hear freedom comin"
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Use a Supercart and it runs gb games directly on the gba via and emulator
    built into the cart as well as nes games.

    "Nevermind" <nevermind@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > cant you just throw in your cartridge into the DS and start playing? its
    > still running off GBA hardware not GBC
    > "Stimp" <ren@spumco.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 Steven Wandy <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote:
    >>> I have the DS. I realize it cannot play Gameboy/GBC games. Is this
    >>> because
    >>> there is no slot or because it actually can't play the games? If you get
    >>> the
    >>> older GB/GBC roms and put them on a flash cart will the DS be able to
    >>> play
    >>> them? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Yes, but you need to also upload a GB emulator onto the flash cart. You
    >> can't play GB roms on a flash cart directly.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "I hear ma train a comin'
    >> ... hear freedom comin"

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 Nevermind <nevermind@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > cant you just throw in your cartridge into the DS and start playing? its
    > still running off GBA hardware not GBC

    you can't upload a GB game onto a flash cart and play it directly on a
    GBA (I'm speaking from experience with a Flash Linker cart, not sure
    about the SuperCart or others)

    Also the GBA was essentially two consoles in one, it had GBC and GBA
    hardware. The DS only has DS and GBA hardware, so can't play GBC games
    directly.

    Use something like pogoshell to create one GBA file in which you can
    have a mixture of GB, NES and GBA games.

    http://www.gameboy-advance.net/gba_roms/pogoshell.htm
    --

    "I hear ma train a comin'
    .... hear freedom comin"

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Nintendo Video Games