Sign in with
Your question

Asrock Z77E-ITX Possible motherboard issue?

Tags:
  • ASrock
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
July 5, 2012 10:05:12 PM

Hi everyone.

I recencetly decided to create a low powered itx pc and purchased the following components.

Asrock Z77E-ITX motherboard
Intel i5 3470t
8gb of corsair ram
120gb corsair ssd
Picopsu 120w & 120 watt ac-dc adapter.

After putting all the components together I plugged in the adapter, the fan on the heatsink began to turn immediately (whicc was strange) and then stopped and smoke began rising from the picopsu, I immediately unplugged the adapter and disconnected the psu. Extremely worried about the damage that could have been caused I took out my old 650 watt psu (still in good working order) and plugged it into the motherboard and pressed the power button, there was the merest indication of life from the heatsink fan a judder lets say but nothing happens, tried turning off the power from the plug and retrying, but was faced with the same result, even tried switching cases, now I realised something is definitely wrong but I just can't figure out if the issue is the motherboard or the CPU?

Can anyone please advise?

More about : asrock z77e itx motherboard issue

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 10:01:21 AM

It's hard to test the cpu without a spare board. You may want to try rma'ing the board and get cheaper board such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., even if it means ditching your itx case (you can sell it on craigslist). It could take 2-3 weeks to get a replacement board if they decide to send you one. If there's any burn marks on the board, you'll have to fight tooth and nail to get them to honor your warranty. Here's an alternative case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...; Intel should replace the cpu if it doesn't post with the new biostar board; do a "breadboard" test on a non conductive surface with just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram, and onboard video. You can also connect a keyboard to set your boot order and smartfan settings in the bios, save and exit. I'm not a fan of itx cases with a separate low end proprietary power supply such as the one you have now. Using a larger case will allow better cooling and your old power supply. The second link is for a silverstone htpc case model ML03B for around $60 shipped. If asrock replaces the board, you can sell it later. Or if you can wait that long, try it again with the new case.
July 6, 2012 11:56:55 AM

o1die said:
It's hard to test the cpu without a spare board. You may want to try rma'ing the board and get cheaper board such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., even if it means ditching your itx case (you can sell it on craigslist). It could take 2-3 weeks to get a replacement board if they decide to send you one. If there's any burn marks on the board, you'll have to fight tooth and nail to get them to honor your warranty. Here's an alternative case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...; Intel should replace the cpu if it doesn't post with the new biostar board; do a "breadboard" test on a non conductive surface with just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram, and onboard video. You can also connect a keyboard to set your boot order and smartfan settings in the bios, save and exit. I'm not a fan of itx cases with a separate low end proprietary power supply such as the one you have now. Using a larger case will allow better cooling and your old power supply. The second link is for a silverstone htpc case model ML03B for around $60 shipped. If asrock replaces the board, you can sell it later. Or if you can wait that long, try it again with the new case.

Thanks for your advice, I think I will have to bite the bullet and find another motherboard, just so that I'm sure its not a CPU issue, frankly I have a desktop so I'm in no hurry, it doesnt matter how long it will take, had a quick look at the board and cant see any defects or burn marks so it will likely be fine RMA'ing it.

Thanks again.
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 12:40:16 PM

I would rma the itx case and ps or send it back to the vender; I would never have tried such a low rated power supply for the expensive parts you're using; it's barely adequate under ideal conditions.
!