Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Faster BIOS boot time

Last response: in Motherboards
July 5, 2012 11:04:36 PM

Hi everyone,
I was wondering how I could get my BIOS to load faster. It takes about 24 seconds to boot my computer and the BIOS takes about 17 sec. How can i make this faster?

More about : faster bios boot time

a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2012 11:31:54 PM

Have you enabled fast boot in the BIOS? Many BIOS's have this option so that not so many tests are performed when starting up.
Score
a c 266 V Motherboard
July 5, 2012 11:33:52 PM

Look at the bios options and what the defaults are.

1. Is the bios doing ram checking? If so, bypass that once you know the ram is good.

2. Is the bios displaying logos, or other unneeded screens?

3. Is there any hard drive staggered startup options active?

4. Is there any hardware that does not need to be initialized. For example, unused lan controllers, an extra Marvell sata controller, or IDE.

5. Are the ram speed settings correct? Sometimes, the bios will find one it can't handle, and spend time correcting it.

6. Some motherboards will activate a basic web browser app as part of the startup.

7. Are there timeouts used to detect devices, such as dvd drives?

------------You get the idea---------------
Score
Related resources
July 5, 2012 11:36:27 PM

pjmelect said:
Have you enabled fast boot in the BIOS? Many BIOS's have this option so that not so many tests are performed when starting up.

Actually, I have tried that, but I didn't Notice much of a difference, although it probably made it a little bit faster
Score
July 5, 2012 11:37:38 PM

geofelt said:
Look at the bios options and what the defaults are.

1. Is the bios doing ram checking? If so, bypass that once you know the ram is good.

2. Is the bios displaying logos, or other unneeded screens?

3. Is there any hard drive staggered startup options active?

4. Is there any hardware that does not need to be initialized. For example, unused lan controllers, an extra Marvell sata controller, or IDE.

5. Are the ram speed settings correct? Sometimes, the bios will find one it can't handle, and spend time correcting it.

6. Some motherboards will activate a basic web browser app as part of the startup.

7. Are there timeouts used to detect devices, such as dvd drives?

------------You get the idea---------------

Actually, my RAm is rated at 1600 mhz but the BIOS says that it's at 1333mhz. So if I adjust that will it speed things up?
Score
a c 266 V Motherboard
July 5, 2012 11:43:23 PM

david_12 said:
Actually, my RAm is rated at 1600 mhz but the BIOS says that it's at 1333mhz. So if I adjust that will it speed things up?

No. The problem happens when you specify 1600, and the bios says no way, and reduces it to 1333.

Actually, with intel chips, ram speed is a minor issue. More so with AMD.
Score
a c 199 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 12:13:54 AM

Some boards just boot slow. It sounds to me like you have done everything you can to speed it up. It's just going to have to be something you live with. It sounds like your SSD is working great though if it boots in 7 seconds!
Score
July 6, 2012 12:45:15 AM

anort3 said:
Some boards just boot slow. It sounds to me like you have done everything you can to speed it up. It's just going to have to be something you live with. It sounds like your SSD is working great though if it boots in 7 seconds!

yes, my vertex 3 is very fast. loads windows before the 4 blobs make the logo. I guess 24 sec it's all that bad though.
Score

Best solution

a c 266 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 12:53:13 AM

david_12 said:
yes, my vertex 3 is very fast. loads windows before the 4 blobs make the logo. I guess 24 sec it's all that bad though.

May I suggest that boot time, including bios startup time should not be an issue.

Instead of shutting down, just go to sleep using the s3 sleep state( not hibernation). The contents will be kept in ram, and the pc enters a very low power state. It takes only two seconds or so.
On wake up, it only takes the same 2-3 seconds.
July 16, 2012 1:55:05 AM

Best answer selected by DAVID_12.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 5:56:29 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!