USB 3.0 reverting to 2.0 on Asus internal 20 pin header

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
  • USB3
Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2012 1:47:52 AM

Hello awesome ppl of Tom!

With the help of this site / forum I've done my first PC build and everything has gone smoothly until today :( 
I have an Asus P8 Z77-V LX mobo and decided to take advantage of the internal 20 pin USB 3.0 header and purchased the Biostar header that mounts in the 3.5" bay from Amazon. I'm using a 3.0 thumbdrive that work correctly when connected to the rear 3.0 ports on the mobo but when plugged into this header I get the "This device will perform faster is you connect it to a USB 3.0 SS port" I then did a drag and drop with some files and sure enough it's running at USB 2.0 speeds.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit as the OS and assumed it was simply a driver issue. I was running Intel USB 3.0 Driver V1.0.4.220 which is offered on the mobo CD and from Asus's website for this mobo. I found a slightly newer version (.225) and tried it without any luck.

I found someone with a similar problem on hardwareheaven "Front usb 3.0 port not working" but they had an Intel motherboard and I wasn't able to follow as it started getting controller specific and a little beyond my experience level.

Anybody out there seen anything like this or have any suggestions? If you need more info just let me know and I'll provide. I'll also attempt contacting Asus and will post if they provide a solution Thx!!

More about : usb reverting asus internal pin header

July 12, 2012 2:23:31 AM

I followed some tips on a forums from someone that was having a similar problem by enabling the environmental variable to view disconnected drives in device manager, deleting those drives under "storage volumes" & "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", uninstalling the USB 3.0 drivers and then reinstalling the driver. This appeared to work for them but not for me. Since the Biostar jack that connects to the header is simply a cable I don't think the problem lies withing it.

Here are the links to the other forums with the Intel board fwiw:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/hardware-discussion-suppo...

http://communities.intel.com/message/152109

I've also reached out to Asus to see if they can help me. I'll keep this updated when/if things progress.
m
l
July 20, 2012 9:29:25 PM

Here's what all I've done:
uninstall and re-install chipset driver. Clear CMOS and reset Bios to defaults (took a while to recover from that one....)
Uninstalled and re-installed Intel USB 3.0 drivers multiple times upgrading drivers twice along the while. disable, uninstall, and install Asus USB 3.0 Turbo boost.

And finally buy a USB 3.0 external drive (Seagate GoFlex) which connects at 3.0 speeds and transfers data above 100MB/s....
So even though the USB thumbdrive (Adata S102) will connect to the rear at 3.0 speeds it won't connect to the front / internal header at 3.0 speeds. I'm going to give up and hope it's simply and issue with the thumdrive. I'll do some more digging on the drive and keep an eye open for Intel driver updates but for my first PC build I've learned and broken enough....
:pt1cable: 
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 6:44:59 AM

Hello,
does that mean that your external drive connected to the internal connector worked USB 3.0 like ? or that you connected it to the rear panel ?
Because i have exactly the same issue, with my Adata USB thumbdrive (N005)
m
l
August 23, 2012 11:29:10 AM

Yeah, the external hard drive connected to the front / internal headed at USB 3.0 with some nice fast transfer rates. I never could get the Adata to connect at USB 3.0 speeds. Appears they have some legacy USB 3.0 driver issues or something.
m
l
August 24, 2012 8:24:06 AM

Mr_Skull said:
Yeah, the external hard drive connected to the front / internal headed at USB 3.0 with some nice fast transfer rates. I never could get the Adata to connect at USB 3.0 speeds. Appears they have some legacy USB 3.0 driver issues or something.

When you plugged it to the Intel USB back panel header it works fast for you too ? On my mobo, i have Intel and ASMedia USB 3.0 on the back panel.
I contacted Asus, and they told me to see it with my seller. With your experience i wondered if there's anything wrong with the mobo. But i'm not likely to buy an external drive just to make sure (now i purchased the thumbdrive).
m
l
August 24, 2012 12:48:47 PM

mattmatt04 said:
When you plugged it to the Intel USB back panel header it works fast for you too ? On my mobo, i have Intel and ASMedia USB 3.0 on the back panel.
I contacted Asus, and they told me to see it with my seller. With your experience i wondered if there's anything wrong with the mobo. But i'm not likely to buy an external drive just to make sure (now i purchased the thumbdrive).

Same with me. Back port would connect at USB 3.0 or at least without the "This device will perform faster connected to a 3.0 port prompt" which I was getting on the front port. The speeds i was getting on a file transfer wasn't nearly as fast as expecting on the rear port... My board is an Asus P8Z77-V LX so I honestly don't know if there's a different controller for the rear vs. internal USB 3. I gave up on the Adata drive, Asus kept asking me to try a different device and after I did it kinda sealed the "giving up" deal for me.

Oh and the USB 3.0 external hard drive I purchased I got from a big box retailer locally. I made sure they had a return policy for hard drives and was extra careful when unpacking it. I carried it back the next day after doing my testing and got my money back.
m
l
August 24, 2012 1:49:11 PM

Mr_Skull said:
Same with me. Back port would connect at USB 3.0 or at least without the "This device will perform faster connected to a 3.0 port prompt" which I was getting on the front port. The speeds i was getting on a file transfer wasn't nearly as fast as expecting on the rear port... My board is an Asus P8Z77-V LX so I honestly don't know if there's a different controller for the rear vs. internal USB 3. I gave up on the Adata drive, Asus kept asking me to try a different device and after I did it kinda sealed the "giving up" deal for me.

Oh and the USB 3.0 external hard drive I purchased I got from a big box retailer locally. I made sure they had a return policy for hard drives and was extra careful when unpacking it. I carried it back the next day after doing my testing and got my money back.

I've got the P8Z77V -deluxe, i guess very similar to yours.
you were pretty clever for the testing !
m
l
!