Sign in with
Your question

New motherboard with no built in video. Don't know how to install bios.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2012 3:20:45 AM

Hello,
I just got my pc built (my first time builing one) and my motherboard doesn't have built in video. This wouldn't be that big of a problem if it wasn't for the fact that i has no idea on how i supposed to install the bios without any sort of display. I tried putting in my brand new evga graphics card (thinking that it probably wouldn't work) and tried to get a display through that and still nothing. Any idea on how to approach this issue?
July 6, 2012 3:25:34 AM

Motherboards come with the BIOS already on them, you'll need to try getting the card to work. Are the power connectors plugged in?
July 6, 2012 3:25:39 AM

first lets check what components we are talking here

what do you have put together?
Related resources
July 6, 2012 3:32:25 AM

yes, both the 6 pin power cords are plugged into into the graphics card and it is plugged into the PCI-E slot. but i don't think i'll be able to install it without an OS, considering it is a brand new build the hard drive does not have an OS on it yet.
July 6, 2012 3:34:37 AM

What parts do you have? Full list please. Also, install what? The BIOS is already there, and you should at least see the motherboards POST screen (the one that says what buttons to press to enter the BIOS) with the card in.
July 6, 2012 3:48:09 AM

I'm sorry for not being clearer. Here are my specs

Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD65
Graphics Card: Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 670
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W
CPU: AMD FX 8 core Processor

Also, the motherboard and the graphics card came with discs and i was assuming that the one that came with the motherboard was for the bios and that the one for the graphics card had all of the drivers. And by "it" i mean't the disc that came with the graphics card. Once again, I am sorry for being so incoherent.
July 6, 2012 4:54:15 AM

The motherboard disk contain motherboard drivers, and the graphics card disk has graphics card drivers. The disks are usually outdated, so it's better to download them from the manufacturer's website (For the graphics card this would be Nvidia, not EVGA). The BIOS is already on the board. Before you can install any drivers though, you need to install the OS. You should be getting some kind of output from the graphics card though, does anything show up on the screen, are there any beeps?
July 6, 2012 5:30:51 AM

No beeps or output comes from the graphics card but the fan on the graphics card is running so I'm pretty sure it's working.
July 6, 2012 5:43:19 AM

I meant beeps from the mobo speaker, but you would have heard that too so it doesn't matter. Could you try putting the card in the second PCI-E slot?
!