Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Games not running as smoothly as they once did

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2011 12:47:05 AM

My PC has a 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 3.0 GB RAM, and an 1.0 GB NVidia GeForce GT 220 graphics card, all of which used to run my games amazingly smoothly. Now, though, the games are very choppy and not fun to play at all. Any idea what has happened, and what, if anything, I can do?

More about : games running smoothly

a c 376 U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 1:06:10 AM

If I had to guess it could be a virus/spyware issue slowing your system down in general.
m
l
May 5, 2011 1:26:53 AM

That's what I was afraid of. Any suggestions on ridding my PC of these?
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 2:16:35 AM

Malwarebytes Free
Comodo anti virus also free

Also is the drive full?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 3:32:23 AM

malwarebytes doesnt work very well on its own. i use a conjunction of Microsoft security essentials, spybot search and destroy, and use malwarebytes as a last resort if nothing else works. I have run malwarebytes on machines then ran msse and spybot only to have them pick up the scraps malwarebytes left behind.
m
l
May 5, 2011 3:41:53 AM

I have run a full scan with McAfee and Glary Utilities. No spyware found with those.

The games will run alright for about 3 minutes before becoming very choppy. Does that sound like spyware? (Forgive my ignorance.)
m
l

Best solution

a c 173 U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 10:16:16 AM

it could be overheating since you say it gradually gets worse. get HWmonitor to monitor your cpu and gpu temps. If you have had the PC for a while you may need to clean the dust from all the gpu and cpu fans and heatsinks and also clean out the PSU.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 11:19:19 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
malwarebytes doesnt work very well on its own. i use a conjunction of Microsoft security essentials, spybot search and destroy, and use malwarebytes as a last resort if nothing else works. I have run malwarebytes on machines then ran msse and spybot only to have them pick up the scraps malwarebytes left behind.

^ This sounds like a good combo. I would uninstall what you are using now and get those programs. They are all free.
m
l
May 5, 2011 8:19:24 PM

Run msconfig and disable basically everything nonessential for gaming/system at startup. Also try NOD32.

^ If nothing else helped.
m
l
May 16, 2011 1:56:26 AM

Best answer selected by manzie.
m
l
May 16, 2011 2:07:51 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
it could be overheating since you say it gradually gets worse. get HWmonitor to monitor your cpu and gpu temps. If you have had the PC for a while you may need to clean the dust from all the gpu and cpu fans and heatsinks and also clean out the PSU.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I opened the case to give everything a good dusting and to look at the video card, and lo and behold, the video card fan isn't spinning and is essentially a heater at this point. I plugged the monitor and power back in and started up a graphics-heavy game at the highest settings and waited for things to start lagging. When they did, I gave the video card a quick spritz with the cold compressed air -- instant fix. As for a long-term fix, I think my only option is a new video card.

Thanks again!
m
l
!