I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought one
for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.

Eddie G
26 answers Last reply
More about purchased adult

    On 2005-02-17, Eddie G <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought one
    > for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

    Plenty of adults play them. Check the IGN message boards for example. I'm
    30 and I play one as my sole "console". I once saw a 70+ year old lady
    whip one out at dinner to show to her grandkids. She was playing
    WarioWare. The GBA is no kiddie machine as many of the trolls like to say.
    It's a great 2D gaming system. Maybe the 2nd best ever.

    Preston

    I'm (ahem) 52 and have bought every version of the Gameboy since the
    beginning, including the DS. I have OCCASSIONALLY allowed my kids to play
    them - they are also grown now.

    I have a GBA SP and just got a DS too. Looking forward to a PSP also.

    HDTV games lists and discussion
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    > one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    one
    > for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

    Bought one for myself. Had it not of been for the GBA-SP, I probably would
    not have gotten a GBA. I gave it very little thought prior to the GBA-SP.
    The design was what brought me in. I've since purchased a DS as well.

    Prior to the GBA-SP, my last handheld was a Sega Nomad -- which I still
    have. Great game device, but not exactly "mobile". :^)

    Cheers,
    -ES
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in

    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I
    > for one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you
    > bought one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.

    I'm 47 and own a GBA SP. I'm seriously considering getting a PSP when the
    price comes down.

    --
    "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never
    try." - Homer Simpson

    Eddie G wrote:
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought one
    > for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

    My wife and I received our GBA as a wedding present (we were 23 at the
    time). Since then she has bought a GBA (at 24) of her own, and a DS for
    me (at 26).
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    one
    > for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G
    >
    > I'm 37. I haven't yet, but probably will once tax money comes in or B'day
    rolls around. CG
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Well I have a GBA SP and a DS and I bought my wife a GBA SP. Before the SP
    we both had GBA's and before that GBC. Our sons are 2 1/2 and 6 months so
    they watch when we play, but that is it.

    AceoHearts
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    > one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

    32 now had GB GBC GBA SP and yes I will be getting DS
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    > one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.

    31 here - had GB, skipped the dreadful GB pocket/GBC, also skipped the GBA,
    then bought a GBA SP. Won't be getting a DS as again, it's just a dreadful
    waste of money.

    Only got the GBA SP so I have a handheld I can program, and it was cheaper
    than a PDA.

    Maybe get a PSP, but they'll have to drop in price a hell of a lot. And
    there's not going to be a lot of scope for running homebrew on them either.
    UMDs? Way to go, sony.

    D.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    36 here, gave my SP to my girlfriend recently in anticipation
    of my getting a DS when they're released in March over here.

    I also own a Gamecube, and I love PC games; gonna invest in
    a new graphics card soon too.

    Eddie G wrote:
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought one
    > for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:16:40 -0500, "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove
    me)@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    >one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought one
    >for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    >Eddie G

    I'm coming up on my 39th birthday this spring, and my first GB was in
    1989, when I had to do a fair amount of travel for work. My parents
    bought me that. After the GBA came out, I eventually picked one up,
    and then got much more into handheld gaming. When the GBA SP came
    out, I immediately traded in my GBA and a couple of games I didn't
    need, and got the SP. Since then I've been very much involved with
    playing loads of GBA games.

    My wife got me a DS for Christmas, along with Final Fantasy I & II.
    She picked me up Super Mario DS when we were out shopping with the
    kids over Christmas break, but that is not of much interest for me.
    I'll continue using it as mainly a GBA until something of interest
    hits.

    I have been watching the PSP with some interest, but the level of
    self-importance and arrogance in Sony's announcements, pricing and
    customer service is rather off-putting. Having to shell out $400 when
    all I'm interested in is Untold Legends seems a bit hard to swallow as
    well.

    Mike
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Eddie G wrote:
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses.
    > I for one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If
    > you bought one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

    I'm 26 and I bought an SP last year. I still use it a lot during my lunch breaks
    and often in the evenings or in the pub. Before then, I've used a Game Gear
    since I was 12 until it died on me in 1998. A quick visit to ebay in 2000
    secured me another which I use alongside the SP (Sonic Advance may be good, but
    Sonic 1 on the GG is far better! ;-) )

    I plan to buy a DS next month when it launches here (UK) with Wario Ware
    Touched. The SP's screen was quite a disappointment given how good frontlit
    screen can be (though never as good as a backlit one), and I'm looking forward
    to playing my GBA games on a proper backlit screen too.

    Paul.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Eddie G <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> had this to say:
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought one
    > for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

    I'm 27 and I have a GBA SP. I had an original GBA before that, and own the
    DS as well. I like console games, too, but I seem to spend much more time i
    with the portable systems. Sprite-based, 2D games are my bread and butter. :)

    I probably won't get a PSP only because it's not really cost feasible for me
    to get it. I'm interested in seeing how it does, though.

    --
    amarriner
    "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"

    Eddie G wrote:
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If
    > you bought one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

    I am 50 and have a GBA. Love the Zelda games.

    Jacqueline
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    > one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.

    My husband and I purchased both GBA SPs ( when they came out ) and DSs for
    ourselves - mid 40's.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    me)@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    >one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought one
    >for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    >Eddie G

    Just to add another thought ... now that my kids are a bit older (8.5
    and 7) it is nice to be able to share games with them! My 8 year old
    is playing Final Fantasy I & II, which I've just about finished, so it
    is nice to compare notes ... I'm learning a lot about my gaming habits
    that I hadn't thought about since the Apple ][ days ...

    Mike
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    > one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.

    I'm 34 and I bought a GBA and GBASP primarily for the 2D games rather than
    the portability. I also own a GC and a decent spec PC, but my GBASP has had
    the most use over the past couple of years.

    I'm just hoping that the advent of 3D-capable handhelds doesn't spell the
    end of 2D :(

    Steve
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    I'm 30 bought a GBASP last year, mostly because I wanted to play FFTA,
    but also because it's compatible with GB/GBC games, I love old-school
    2D fighters and RPGs etc. and I could play it on the commuter run. I've
    had a NEOGEO pocket for some time, which I still play, do a lot of
    emulation of old stuff on the PC (don't play PC games much), and have a
    PS2 and Dreamcast, have no interest in the PSP, and will get a DS as
    soon as Nintendo announce an even newer handheld (I'm guessing 2 years).

    And welcome to the first GBA Anonymous meeting.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Davemon wrote:
    > I'm 30 bought a GBASP last year, mostly because I wanted to play FFTA,
    > but also because it's compatible with GB/GBC games, I love old-school
    > 2D fighters and RPGs etc. and I could play it on the commuter run. I've
    > had a NEOGEO pocket for some time, which I still play, do a lot of
    > emulation of old stuff on the PC (don't play PC games much), and have a
    > PS2 and Dreamcast, have no interest in the PSP, and will get a DS as
    > soon as Nintendo announce an even newer handheld (I'm guessing 2 years).
    >
    > And welcome to the first GBA Anonymous meeting.

    My husband got me my GBA sp a year or so ago. I was 35 then. He knew I
    was lusting after one pretty bad. He's a console gamer, but I love the
    portability of my sp. I had a lynx back when but really got into gaming
    with the SP. And the Xbox is mine. 8-)

    Wendy
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    I'm 46 and own two (YES, count 'em, 2) GBA SPs. I have over 50 GBA games
    and have played most of them - completed many including Golden Sun,
    Castlevania - Circle of the Moon, and Metroid Fusion. I also have a
    GameCube and play that a lot, too. Many of these games are so well written
    they must be for adults (kids can't possibly appreciate the quality.)

    - Todd R

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    > one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:30:54 -0500, "tmredden" <tmredden@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >I'm 46 and own two (YES, count 'em, 2) GBA SPs. I have over 50 GBA games
    >and have played most of them - completed many including Golden Sun,
    >Castlevania - Circle of the Moon, and Metroid Fusion. I also have a
    >GameCube and play that a lot, too. Many of these games are so well written
    >they must be for adults (kids can't possibly appreciate the quality.)
    >
    >- Todd R

    That is an interesting thing - I'm playing Final Fantasy I & II (ok, I
    just finished) with my 8 year old, and we each are getting a lot out
    of it. I have also heard that the Pokemon games - which my kids love
    - grow very well with you.

    What a challenge - making games that appeal and are playable for
    people from 5 to 105!

    Mike
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On 2005-03-01, Michael Anderson <txa1265@spymac.com> wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:30:54 -0500, "tmredden" <tmredden@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm 46 and own two (YES, count 'em, 2) GBA SPs. I have over 50 GBA games
    >>and have played most of them - completed many including Golden Sun,
    >>Castlevania - Circle of the Moon, and Metroid Fusion. I also have a
    >>GameCube and play that a lot, too. Many of these games are so well written
    >>they must be for adults (kids can't possibly appreciate the quality.)
    >>
    >>- Todd R
    >
    > That is an interesting thing - I'm playing Final Fantasy I & II (ok, I
    > just finished) with my 8 year old, and we each are getting a lot out
    > of it. I have also heard that the Pokemon games - which my kids love
    > - grow very well with you.
    >
    > What a challenge - making games that appeal and are playable for
    > people from 5 to 105!
    >
    > Mike

    That's the beauty of 2D gaming and the GBA and Nintendo. They can
    accomplish this. This is why it saddens me that Nintendo will one day
    abandon this platform to go with discs and 3D and.... blah.

    Preston
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    37 and lovin it!

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    > one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    > one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.
    >
    > Eddie G

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie(remove me)@comcast.net> wrote in message

    >I'm curious how many adults bought a GBA for themselves or spouses. I for
    >one am 37 and bought myself one this past holiday season. If you bought
    >one for your kid and play it, it doesn't count.

    Over the years, GB, GBC, GBA, SP. I'm 62 now, and never played 'em a
    lot, but still play the SP from time to time. It lives in my briefcase.
    --
    Noah

Console Gaming Video Games