How to increase Wi-Fi range

himeshj

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I have a broadband connection with a G series Modem from Huawei, I think. It is connected to the desktop thru a wire and I use the wifi with my iPhone/laptop. However, the range is very poor and the moment I step out of the room, there is no connectivity.

Questions -
■How do I increase the range?
■Can I just buy a router and connect it to my existing modem (cheaper option)or is it better to buy a modem+wifi router. Am willing to spend extra $$$ if there is any benefit.
■ Which router should I go for? The neighbourhood vendor is pushing the Belkin N Series (Surf/Share/Play). Is it any good or should I consider other alternatives?

Would really appreciate your feedback.

Solution
G
I suspect the most popular brands (not necessarily in this order) are Netgear, Linksys, D-Link. Of these Netgear seem to have the simplest user setup screens and have a good user forum.

1) You've answered that.
2) See the manual for the router (may be on CD which came with it or download it from maker's site).
3) as 2
4) with concrete walls, if possible site the router and computer near windows.

I'm afraid that annoying old Physics will sometimes take the magic out of new technologies -- domestic disharmony is often the outcome. If wireless doesn't work you may have to use wired -- it is quicker and more reliable. It might be worth looking at a Homeplug mains-borne solution -- but this is pretty flaky and very subject to issues...
G

If you are willing to spend more, Belkin may not be the obvious choice.

But before spending any money you should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference to your existing wireless setup.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

himeshj

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
If you are willing to spend more, Belkin may not be the obvious choice.
So what is the obvious choice for me?
But before spending any money you should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference to your existing wireless setup.

1) raise the router above furniture level
Currently I have an ADSL modem+router which is kept on top of the PC in a nook under the worktop. It is hardwired to the PC. So this could be the reason for poor reception. Will try this but the worktop design will make it very messy with wires snaking all over.
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
Did I mention I'm a noob ;-). Willing to give this a shot if you can point me to some tutorials.
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
Pl see above response. There are a couple of strong neighbourhood wifi's.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
The cordless phone is right next to the router currently. Will try to remove this.5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
Don't think this will be possible, will have to redo the worktop to do this. Anyway, I'm looking to get the signal to the next two rooms, so there are concrete walls in between.

Thanks for the suggestions, fihart, my responses above in blue. Would eagerly await comments from you and others.

G

I suspect the most popular brands (not necessarily in this order) are Netgear, Linksys, D-Link. Of these Netgear seem to have the simplest user setup screens and have a good user forum.

1) You've answered that.
2) See the manual for the router (may be on CD which came with it or download it from maker's site).
3) as 2
4) with concrete walls, if possible site the router and computer near windows.

I'm afraid that annoying old Physics will sometimes take the magic out of new technologies -- domestic disharmony is often the outcome. If wireless doesn't work you may have to use wired -- it is quicker and more reliable. It might be worth looking at a Homeplug mains-borne solution -- but this is pretty flaky and very subject to issues with your wiring.

Solution

himeshj

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
U can go for Buffalo™ routers, they have quite good performance and that also for a long time.

My dad just purchased 1 buffalo router and it gave full signal strength and good throughput.( It constantly gives u the max out of your bandwidth without falling even slightly, and surfing is a turbo, each page loads in a second even with 256 kbps connection).

Other brands like LINKSYS tend to get heated up and some just disconnect everytime like D-link.

Thanks Sach. Could you please let me know the model no, price and place of purchase please??