Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

12VDC Car Charger for Hewlett-PackardHP R707 Digital Camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 14, 2005 10:30:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hello All:

Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
question.

I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.

The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!

Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!

some tech specs...

Description: HP Photosmart R07 Li Ion Rechargeable
Product Number: L1812A
Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
HP Number: Q223-80001
3.7VDC,1050 mAh
Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm


Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.


sincerely,

LeftLane100@yahoo.com
LeftLane100@hotmail.com
March 15, 2005 1:25:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Cheap and fast way is to buy a 300 watt dc to ac converter then use it to
power the ac charger.
That way you have it for other things, I use one for a printer in the car.

"LeftLane100" <leftlane100@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1110857452.968231.48860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Hello All:
>
> Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
> question.
>
> I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
> cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
> that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
> the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.
>
> The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
> a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!
>
> Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!
>
> some tech specs...
>
> Description: HP Photosmart R07 Li Ion Rechargeable
> Product Number: L1812A
> Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
> HP Number: Q223-80001
> 3.7VDC,1050 mAh
> Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm
>
>
> Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.
>
>
> sincerely,
>
> LeftLane100@yahoo.com
> LeftLane100@hotmail.com
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 15, 2005 7:07:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

LeftLane100 wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
> question.
>
> I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
> cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
> that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
> the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.
>
> The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
> a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!
>
> Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!
>
> some tech specs...
>
> Description: HP Photosmart R07 Li Ion Rechargeable
> Product Number: L1812A
> Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
> HP Number: Q223-80001
> 3.7VDC,1050 mAh
> Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm
>
>
> Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.
>
>
> sincerely,
>
> LeftLane100@yahoo.com
> LeftLane100@hotmail.com
>
I suggest you buy one of the inexpensive DC to AC converters that are
available for about $10. That way you can use the charger that came
with the Camera...


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 15, 2005 7:08:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Robert wrote:
> Cheap and fast way is to buy a 300 watt dc to ac converter then use it to
> power the ac charger.
> That way you have it for other things, I use one for a printer in the car.
>
> "LeftLane100" <leftlane100@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1110857452.968231.48860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Hello All:
>>
>>Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
>>question.
>>
>>I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
>>cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
>>that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
>>the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.
>>
>>The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
>>a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!
>>
>>Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>some tech specs...
>>
>>Description: HP Photosmart R07 Li Ion Rechargeable
>>Product Number: L1812A
>>Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
>>HP Number: Q223-80001
>>3.7VDC,1050 mAh
>>Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm
>>
>>
>>Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.
>>
>>
>>sincerely,
>>
>>LeftLane100@yahoo.com
>>LeftLane100@hotmail.com
>>
>>
>
>
>
What kind of printer needs a 300 watt converter??? One of the $10 95
watt models would be more than adequate.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 15, 2005 10:58:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ron Hunter wrote:

> I suggest you buy one of the inexpensive DC to AC converters that are
> available for about $10. That way you can use the charger that came
> with the Camera...


Yup..

I have an inverter permentently mounted under the seat of my truck.

I use it for my laptop computer, my camera battey charger, my GPS unit,
my Cell phone and my PDA. (It's a heavy duty 700W unit so I can also
run a TV set and small power tools).

An inverter will work for just about everything that uses a 'wall cube',
so you eliminate the need to purchase a dedicated 12V charger for every
portable device you own now or may aquire in the future.
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 15, 2005 1:59:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

LeftLane100 wrote:

> Description: HP Photosmart R07 Li Ion Rechargeable
> Product Number: L1812A
> Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
> HP Number: Q223-80001
> 3.7VDC,1050 mAh
> Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm

See
"http://shop.designertoday.com/r-281407/m-Electronics/b-..."
I think that this is what you want.

Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
poster had never heard of these devices.
March 15, 2005 5:09:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <1110913177.952754.228010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
scharf.steven@gmail.com says...
> Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
> adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
> feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
> poster had never heard of these devices.
>


Here is a NEWS BULLETIN!

A great preponderance of "average people", dont know what an INVERTER is,
where they can be found, or what they are used for.

If you dont like what the people in theis newsgroup post for help, you'de
best declare yourself 'King Of Usenet' and promiss to come up with all the
answers.


And dont forget to give the perfect answer EVERY time.

In your self-centric Universe the only person who matters (you) know all
about inverters so, why should anyone post the suggestion right????


There is no reason NOT to use an inverter in this way, and they can be
cheaper than 12v chargers.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
March 15, 2005 7:26:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:59:37 -0800, scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote
(in article <1110913177.952754.228010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
> adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
> feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
> poster had never heard of these devices.

Aside your opinion of others giving opinions, what is the reason you
recommend against using an inverter? To the contrary, several in this thread
find they work perfectly for the OP's purpose.

Please do share your reasons inverters are not a good idea.

Thanks,
--
Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 15, 2005 8:41:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Larry wrote:

> Here is a NEWS BULLETIN!
>
> A great preponderance of "average people", dont know what an
INVERTER is,
> where they can be found, or what they are used for.

Relax Larry.

I think that you are mistaken about what "average people" know.
Inverters are sold at all the stores where "average people" shop,
including Costco, Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, JC Penney, Bed Bath and
Beyond, Walgreens, etc. It's not like it was 15 years ago when
inverters were an esoteric item ordered from automotive specialty
catalogs.

> If you dont like what the people in theis newsgroup post for help,
you'de
> best declare yourself 'King Of Usenet' and promiss to come up with
all the
> answers.

The problem on Usenet is that too many people don't answer the actual
question, they change the question to fit an answer that they know. The
original poster did not ask about inverters, he asked about a 12VDC car
charger for the R707. Since most people know about inverters, I
presumed that he knew perfectly well what he was asking for.

> And dont forget to give the perfect answer EVERY time.

This is a good point. While I can't claim to be perfect, I do try very
hard to answer the actual question being asked.

> In your self-centric Universe the only person who matters (you) know
all
> about inverters so, why should anyone post the suggestion right????

You want to believe that inverters are some new-fangled device that
many people don't know about, yet this is not true.

> There is no reason NOT to use an inverter in this way, and they can
be
> cheaper than 12v chargers.

There are several reasons why the actual device the original poster was
inquiring about is a better solution.

First, the cheaper inverters shorten the life of devices that they are
attached to because the modified sine wave waveform increases the
losses due to heat, especially in transformer based devices. There are
more expensive inverters that produce a real sine wave, but few people
buy these. For example, a 300W sine wave inverter costs around $150,
while the modified sine-wave model is only around $35 (square wave
models are even less, around $25).

Second, the inverters draw much more power than a DC-DC charger. This
doesn't matter when the car is running, but many times you'd like to
leave the charger plugged in while you're not in the car. No problem
with a DC-DC charger, since it would take days or weeks to drain the
car battery with a DC-DC charger.

Third, the inverters are noisy, since even the smallest ones require a
cooling fan.

Fourth, 12V appliances that plug directly into the lighter are more
efficient. For example, I can run my 12 volt Dirt Devil vacuum just
fine from a 10 amp lighter socket. The 110V Dirt Devil, will not run
off the inverter because the inverter cannot get enough current out of
the lighter socket. If I hook the inverter directly to the battery,
then it will work, but this is a hassle.

You are correct that it is cheaper to buy an inverter. You can buy a
70W inverter for around $10.
March 15, 2005 9:03:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote:

>
> First, the cheaper inverters shorten the life of devices that they are
> attached to because the modified sine wave waveform increases the
> losses due to heat, especially in transformer based devices. There are
> more expensive inverters that produce a real sine wave, but few people
> buy these. For example, a 300W sine wave inverter costs around $150,
> while the modified sine-wave model is only around $35 (square wave
> models are even less, around $25).

My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has
for the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't
work just fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never
been used with anything but inverter power since I bought my first
digital camera in 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home
inverter, I also use them with a cheap little inverters that I haul
along in my car. No problems.

>
> Second, the inverters draw much more power than a DC-DC charger. This
> doesn't matter when the car is running, but many times you'd like to
> leave the charger plugged in while you're not in the car. No problem
> with a DC-DC charger, since it would take days or weeks to drain the
> car battery with a DC-DC charger.

Inverter efficiency even in the cheap little inverters is around 90
percent. The amount of power wasted is so minuscule that you'll never
notice.

>
> Third, the inverters are noisy, since even the smallest ones require a
> cooling fan.

Some inverters have fans that run all the time (noisy). Some have fans
that come on only when the unit gets hot. Some have no fan at all like
the little $13 Vector 70 watt units (which work great for charging
batteries)

>
> Fourth, 12V appliances that plug directly into the lighter are more
> efficient. For example, I can run my 12 volt Dirt Devil vacuum just
> fine from a 10 amp lighter socket. The 110V Dirt Devil, will not run
> off the inverter because the inverter cannot get enough current out of
> the lighter socket. If I hook the inverter directly to the battery,
> then it will work, but this is a hassle.
>
> You are correct that it is cheaper to buy an inverter. You can buy a
> 70W inverter for around $10.
>
Q
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 15, 2005 9:07:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

DaveC wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:59:37 -0800, scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote
> (in article <1110913177.952754.228010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):
>
> > Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the
stock AC
> > adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of
people
> > feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
> > poster had never heard of these devices.
>
> Aside your opinion of others giving opinions, what is the reason you
> recommend against using an inverter? To the contrary, several in this
thread
> find they work perfectly for the OP's purpose.
>
> Please do share your reasons inverters are not a good idea.

I pointed out some of the issues with an inverter in a previous post.
It's not that the inverter won't work, but there are reasons why the
device that the original poster inquired about is a better solution.

Also see: "http://www.solareco.com/articles/article.cfm/id/50"

I forgot about the RFI issue in my other post, but it can be a real
problem, depending on the inverter.
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 16, 2005 11:20:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Q <hugemothnospam@access4less.net> writes:

> My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has for
> the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't work just
> fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never been used with
> anything but inverter power since I bought my first digital camera in
> 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home inverter, I also use them
> with a cheap little inverters that I haul along in my car. No problems.

From what I've read, many studio strobes like Alien Bees need a pure sine wave.
Also, the humidifier that is part of my CPAP system (medical device for
treating sleep apnea) is not compatible with the normal car inverters, though I
think there are newer models that can run off of DC current or inverters.
Finally, I tried using my laptop on one of the cheap inverters you get at the
big box stores, and it blew the fuse, so with some devices you might need to
match the specs.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 16, 2005 7:22:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Michael Meissner" <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message
news:m3fyyvlobf.fsf@glinda.the-meissners.org...
> Q <hugemothnospam@access4less.net> writes:
>
> > My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has
for
> > the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't work
just
> > fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never been used
with
> > anything but inverter power since I bought my first digital camera in
> > 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home inverter, I also use
them
> > with a cheap little inverters that I haul along in my car. No problems.
>
> From what I've read, many studio strobes like Alien Bees need a pure sine
wave.
> Also, the humidifier that is part of my CPAP system (medical device for
> treating sleep apnea) is not compatible with the normal car inverters,
though I
> think there are newer models that can run off of DC current or inverters.
> Finally, I tried using my laptop on one of the cheap inverters you get at
the
> big box stores, and it blew the fuse, so with some devices you might need
to
> match the specs.

The el-cheapo inverters sold at the big-box stores are necessarily cheaply
made, and often way over-rated as to their actual capacity. The high
capacity inverters sold for use for off-mains houses are better made, and
more expensive.

For laptops, you should get the iGo, see
http://store.yahoo.com/shentech/igojualhopoa.html. Both AC and DC adapters
in one unit. Very cool.
!