What do you think of this new build?

cmrbreno13

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
First off, I want to say thank you for viewing my thread and of course appreciate any and all comments! So without further delay, here are my new parts (being shipped currently)

Cooler Master HAF X Full ATX Case

Asus p8p67-LE Mobo (I'm not an OC'er)

Intel I7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4ghz (3.8 Turbo boost) LGA 1155 Quad-Core processor

CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory with Airflow Fan Model CMT8GX3M2A2000C9

EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Thermaltake Toughpower 1350W power supply

Got a 2yr warranty (Newegg Net Plan) on the Processor and Motherboard

BohleyK

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
You wasted money on the sound card. Mobos these days have nice enough sound that I doubt you will hear the difference and you should have bought a Z68. You also wasted a lot of money on your PSU and Corsair RAM tends to be more expensive then any other manufacturer for no reason. You wasted money on 2yr warranty from Newegg as well. Your parts are covered by the manufacturer for free.

Overall, you probably lost about $300 for nothing.

cmrbreno13

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for the reply bohleyk. Is there a reason for the Z68 over the one I bought?

I mainly bought the board because newegg had a combo deal and I heard decent reviews from non-OC'ers. The power supply was a combo with my card so its kind of the same deal with the motherboard :). As far as the warranty, newegg always had treated me well and I much rather deal with them directly and get a replacement if need be than to deal with the manufacturers on some of the items (Evga is great in the aspect though with their lifetime warranty).

cmrbreno13

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Might be a dumb question but I won't run into compatibility issues with the p8p67 le and the Nvidia 580gtx will I? I know it's crossfire only but i only plan on having one graphics card.

That builds a hose job and a half. Starting from the psu, to the board, to the cpu to the sound card to the o/s to the RAM w/fan cooler. This is what usually happens when peeps start a thread like this instead of starting one before the purchase. Iv'e seen this on here time and time again.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
You could have got a much much cheaper 750w-850w PSU, not bought a sound card at all, and upgraded that Vista OS to Windows 7 64bit :)

Always come to Tom's BEFORE placing an order. Theres plenty of people on here that can recommend better and cheaper parts and overall leave you with a better build.

Any decent 620+w psu would run that card. Antec, Seasonic, etc...

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Not the sort of feedback you were hoping for I bet. Do you know for a fact that it has been shipped? I'd get on the phone to Newegg ASAP to check. Even if they keep the funds transferred and you tell them you need to reconfigure your order.

cmrbreno13

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I just found the forum recently so I didn't know to check before I bought. Other than the board, I felt that it was a good buy. It will definitely help my needs as I am also a freelance 3D Graphic designer. This system is basically an all around upgrade from the one i'm using now. Sure, I'm not going 100% workstation as I'm also a gamer but I know these parts run well with 3d max 2012 and Adobe. I'm not an OC'er and I don't want to spend a mint on a workstation card so honestly, I was just concerned about the mobo.

My current system is:

1000w true power supply
Nvidia 470gtx
4GB DDR2 (might be 3 not sure) corsair XMS Ram
2 250gb Sata HD
Creative Fata1ity extreme gamer sound
P5N...nvidia mobo(can't remember off the top of my head)
Cool Master Stacker full tower ATX
Intel Extreme Quad core 2.66ghz processor (forget the type but it was $999 when I bought it and it's lasted me this long and will continue to provide me with rendering power)
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

My current system runs great, it might not be what others would buy but my games, 3d applications and plugins all run perfectly (which is why i'm not making the windows 7 switch just yet) and I'm able to make a decent living working from home. If I run into problems etc. then I'll go from there but otherwise, I'm not going to have problems with games and when I hook the new system up with this one, I'll have 8 rendering buckets instead of 4 so I'm already doubling my speed.

The comments may not be what I was hoping for but I do appreciate them none the less. Down the road, I'll most likely upgrade the mobo and start an SLI setup plus go to at least 16gb of Ram but thats a future project :).

cmrbreno13

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
It also looks like I might be changing out that mobo when I build the PC and I'll just return it to newegg unopened for a refund and I'll probably also do that with the sound card as well even if I have to pay shipping. I might go SLI down the road so having that option out of the gate would be nice so I won't have to trade out the mobo later.

Going to do more research and also follow some advice here. I can't spend a great deal on a motherboard and I'm not looking to really OC anything but I would like at least SLI capability with a solid board.

bohleyk already mentioned the Z86, are there any others that anyone would recommend? Just want to get a few to compare and of course see what the stores here have in stock so I won't have to wait for another order.

Thank you all for your replies!

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
If your paying for a refund shipping charge on the MOBO & sound card...
Do you need that huge PSU for any reason? A brand name 950W should be enough even if you go SLI 580 later
Also any reason you've got Vista over 7 (I know some apps demand Vista). Sure everything is working fine on you current Vista system, but 8 will be out soon, Could be time to make the jump :)

Solid SLI Mobos:

For p67:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131703

if you go z68:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730

TRENDING THREADS