Will this psu work fine? If not, what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cas91

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Here's the exact build I plan on building in a week or so.

Case - Cooler Master Elite 430 - $40
CPU - i5 2500k - $195 after tax at Microcenter
CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 Plus - $26
Motherboard - ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Performance - $128
Memory - G SKill Ripjaws X 8gb - $50
Hard Drive - Using an SSD I already have.
Video Card - Using a GTX 260 Core 216 I already have for the time being (I'm really not a HUGE gamer, just want the most bang for my buck overall performance wise. In the two years I've had my previous build, I played games maybe 10% of the time I used it. However, I do like to have the option available but will probably wait for the next generation of cards to upgrade to a single card)
Thermal Paste - Arctic Silver 5 - $7
Monitor - Acer G245H
Keyboard and Mouse - Already Have Razer Brand.

Total price - $446 Not Including PSU.

Okay now that I've established that, what is the cheapest and best PSU I can get by with. Obviously no SLI, because the motherboard doesn't support it. No upgrades down the road that I can think of except maybe adding a 1TB Hard Drive.
I've been looking at this PSU which would cost $43 After Rebate and has some pretty good reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703025

cas91

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I did notice the OCZ option which is around the same price as the 500w I mentioned. However, the 3 things I noticed that didn't really like is the red led and also it had a decent amount of bad reviews. Also the PC MKII has 5 years warranty compared to the OCZ 3 years. Would either one of these run the system I mentioned but instead of the GTX 260, a GTX 560 Ti or 6950?

EDIT: Or would I "NEED" something like the PC Power & Cooler 650w which also has some pretty good reviews for about $20 more.

cas91

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks. I think I'm going to give the power pc & cooling 650w a try and see how that works out. If anyone else also had any recommendations please let me know within the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.