Sign in with
Your question

How did tom conduct the twitter contest for the GTX580?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2011 12:24:03 PM

Base on what? I'm always skeptical about toms contest and this one contest, the person on twitter had 2 tweets dates back to April 21st with 1 follower. who is tomshardware but thats because he won.

https://twitter.com/#!/tomshardware/status/65840788940144640

https://twitter.com/#!/billj214

something is fishy about this. there should be a video of the random drawing if there is a random drawing.

anyways i just felt a bit hurt like so many who never wins lol. i mean geez i help promote tomshardware on twitter as best as i can with my retweets and telling my friends. and even though i didn't win i'm still retweeting and i'm not an employee of toms who are also retweeting, do they qualify too? lol.

all i have to say there should be video proof of the random drawing. keep it fair. :) 
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 12:30:24 PM

The person who won did exactly what was required to enter the contest. Why would it make you at all suspicious about whether or not the drawing was random or not? What you seem to be arguing is the opposite; that someone like you who does more should have a better chance of winning. That wasn't the way the contest was set up so there is nothing "fishy" about this.
m
l
May 5, 2011 12:33:40 PM

so how did the random drawing was conducted especially on twitter? and to help, a video of the random drawing will go a long way to help clear things out.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 12:48:01 PM

Clear what up exactly? There are no details here that would arouse suspicion. What you seem to not like is that the contest was in fact a random drawing and you consider the winner unworthy. Why a video of the drawing would make you feel better about that or why you are making accusations about it not being random I don't get. Perhaps you can suggest future contests should be based on the number of retweets but this stuff about it being "fishy" and demanding proof is uncalled for IMO.
m
l
May 6, 2011 12:02:02 AM

man your the most persistent person who's trying to make me look bad. you haven't even answered the question if you can't just don't post anything.

i never said the person was unworthy. I have a strong feeling that the contest was hand picked and not randomly drawn and if it was randomly drawn how exactly was it conducted? all contest should be fair and equal and not based on favoritism.
And asking for proof is a bad thing?

If a programed was used base on retweets then how did mail participant got factored in? and i highly doubt you can do that. so clearly something is fishy because when you analysed the situation it clearly points this contest was hand picked. if not then please show us how exactly was it conducted. (thus why i asked video proof) usually contest are drawn where everyone can see. Is that too much to ask for?

i think your trying to defend tomshardware and clearly by the number of post you have says your a big fan of this site or an employee who spends majority of his time here.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 12:20:58 AM

I did the exact same thing to enter (though I didn't win). I couldn't care less about twitter, so I only did the bare minimum to enter. To me, the fact that someone who did the bare minimum to win won is less fishy than if someone who was a big promoter/twitterer won. But, I have nothing against you wanting to see the random drawing. They could even use it to make more publicity for the giveaway.
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 12:39:04 AM

If you want to see a video the random drawing you will probably just get a guy pointing a video camera at a screen, going to a random number generator and having it spit something out between 1 and the number of entries. Any electronic style contest its more common to dump everything into a database with an id number per line, then you use a random number generator and Voila! You have your winner.

A random contest has no bias towards who did the most to try to win or who has and hasnt won in the past, its random, it has no memory. If they were going to rig it it would have been for the person who did a lot to promote toms on twitter and FB as that pays off for them and encourages other to do that to boost their chances in future contests.

If you insist on asking for proof you wont find it, its a contest, they can do what they want with their prizes, most of us are decent people who trust that they are honest, but even if they arent, demanding proof isnt going to make a damned bit of difference.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 9:57:25 AM

kcorp2003 said:
man your the most persistent person who's trying to make me look bad. you haven't even answered the question if you can't just don't post anything.

i never said the person was unworthy. I have a strong feeling that the contest was hand picked and not randomly drawn and if it was randomly drawn how exactly was it conducted? all contest should be fair and equal and not based on favoritism.
And asking for proof is a bad thing?

Your "strong feeling" is based on what precisely? Your accusations of favoritism are based on what? You are making a lot of accusations based on nothing apparently and, no, outside of the lottery and game shows there is almost never a video of contest winners being selected. If Tom's wants to go into detail about the selection process or release a video then they will. If not that's no reason to make public accusations of a rigged contest. There's nothing about the situation I can see that raises any suspicion, if anything the opposite as EXT pointed out, and what you are asking for actually is abnormal. I'm not an employee but rather a person who likes to help others in their spare time. I have no blinding loyalty to the site but if someone comes on here smearing it for no apparent reason and demanding proof as if they are owed something because they didn't win a contest I'll say something.
m
l
!