Should I just go and get X4 955 tomorrow? Need advice

I bought my 990FX board months ago (Asus crosshair V) and had waited quite some time for bulldozer to finally emerge. Reviews are a bit disappointing to say at least and shops in my country don't even know when there'll be any amd fx cpu's in stock :/

And I really don't feel like waiting anymore since I don't have a cpu and I'm not sure can I even POST with bull without the needed bios upgrades(?)

Ph2 X4 955BE is a nice cpu for its price and FX-4000 doesn't look like much of an upgrade. So should I save myself some time and trouble and just go get one tomorrow?
7 answers Last reply
More about should tomorrow advice
  1. well if you have a am3 board you cant even put a BD chip in unless you have a am3+ board. the fx 4000 should have more overclocking potential but it will be more expensive. I say either way you need to wait to see what the prices do on the 955. they could drop to $100 possibly since the fx4000 is going to be $120 just like the 955. I say wait for more benchmarks and price cuts then decide.
  2. nagol567 said:
    well if you have a am3 board you cant even put a BD chip in unless you have a am3+ board. the fx 4000 should have more overclocking potential but it will be more expensive. I say either way you need to wait to see what the prices do on the 955. they could drop to $100 possibly since the fx4000 is going to be $120 just like the 955. I say wait for more benchmarks and price cuts then decide.


    I pointed out that I already own an am3+ mb but without new bios which may be required for bulldozer to work tho I'm not 100% sure.

    Waiting is probably a better idea but it's frustrating and I doubt price will change noticeably :/
  3. Given initial preformace reviews I beleive one the 'new processor' rush is over the whole line will price drop.
  4. popatim said:
    Given initial preformace reviews I beleive one the 'new processor' rush is over the whole line will price drop.


    No doubt about that but it has come to the point where I don't really care about price drop unless it's really huge. like gigantic.. considering I've saved up money to buy a 8150 but its price is not worth it for me x)

    So basically I'd get the same for half the money. I just need a cpu for occasional gaming :o
  5. Then go get it. Thats all the cpu you will need for casual gaming.
  6. Grabbing a 975 myself to melt and if anything nice happens with the new line I can get an upgrade as and when
    :-)
    Moto
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs