Your question

Display driver has stopped responding and recovered

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2011 3:20:36 PM

I have a month old installation of Win 7 64 bit, never had any problem with it 'til today.
Was just surfing the web on FF4 and all of a sudden, the screen goes black, comes back after 5 seconds and displays the "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" message. It's a new graphics card (1 month old), so I don't know what the problem could be.
Any help on the subject would be very much appreciated.

More about : display driver stopped responding recovered

May 6, 2011 3:04:20 AM

I think it is best to remove the graphics card and put it back, it might be loose.
May 6, 2011 3:20:15 AM

I assume this is an AMD GPU. I had the same issue. Re-seat the GPU, un-install and re-install the drivers and see if that works.
Related resources
May 6, 2011 9:03:37 AM

No. it's an Nvidia; Gigabyte GTS450. It's not overheating, I checked and it's seated properly.
May 6, 2011 4:00:39 PM

Hmmm. I don't know then. Drivers maybe?
May 6, 2011 5:21:44 PM

Reinstall the drivers, doing a clean installation.If that doesn't work, roll back to the last drivers which worked for you properly.
May 6, 2011 5:25:39 PM

Tamz_msc said:
Reinstall the drivers, doing a clean installation.If that doesn't work, roll back to the last drivers which worked for you properly.

Yeah, that would probably work. I had to re-install my OS.
May 6, 2011 7:12:15 PM

I reformatted a month ago, installed Win7 & every driver needed, including the latest drivers for the graphics card, from the Gigabyte website. It's the first driver, so I can't rollback. Maybe I should have installed the driver from the Nvidia website, but I don't know if the latest nvidia driver is supported by my card.
Wouldn't it start giving me trouble earlier? I've played Call of Duty MW2 and other newer games without problems, and it seems strange it would 'crash' while just surfin' the web. I read , that it is possibly Win7 power managment options related issue, here's the link. Tried it and haven't had the problem since, hope it wont start again.
Gonna try to reinstall the driver, can't hurt. Is it better to uninstall the driver first, before reinstalling?
May 6, 2011 7:23:24 PM

Install it from the Nvidia web-site.
May 7, 2011 7:20:48 AM

TheDeadPariah said:
Is it better to uninstall the driver first, before reinstalling?

With the newer driver versions, there is an option in the installer to do a clean installation which automatically removes the previous driver before it begins installing the new drivers.I would try doing that at first.
May 8, 2011 9:50:02 AM

First, thank you for your replies, guys, I really appreciate it.

I think something strange is happening. There was a windows update for the graphics card, which is not in the list of available updates anymore. But the thing is, I didn't install it via windows update. Where has it disappeared?
And I'm somewhat careful with graphics drivers, ever since the 267.52 problems with some cards.
So this driver would be alright and would it remove the previous drivers?
May 8, 2011 2:44:27 PM

Yes, download it and perform a clean installation. 267.52 are beta drivers, and I don't recommend using beta drivers unless others have reported them to be stable.
!