Upgrade 1055t to 8 core bulldozer

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I bought a sabertooth 990FX board Should I go bulldozer or stick with what I have? I looked at the bench marks I am still scratching my head which way to go.

jcamel24

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Best 24x7 OC for me has been 3.7Ghz, also for about a year. I could get it to 3.9, but random BSOD's made me back it down.

I don't have a 990FX board, but even if I did, I would hold off for a while. The 8150 doesn't look like it's worth the price for what you'd get.

FX has a gain of 5-10% over Phenom II in multi-threaded applications the per-core performance is not worthy the upgrade.
so if you're going to be gaming stick with the 1055T, if you'll use the PC as a home server and load it with multi threaded applications so the FX is your best option.

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

I use hand brake and Divix and Microsoft expresson converter. And the games I play are COD MW2, Blakck ops
bad company 2 and cod MW3 when it's released. So it sound Like i will have to wait even longer for a cpu that overclocks well and is worth my money correct.

those are normal apps doesn't need that much power, and those games are playable in a quad core, so you are more than enough with your 1055T.

That being said " CPU overclocks well and worth the money" the FX hits 5 GHz easily with a good cooling kit as said by Overclockers.com, they overclocked the FX 8150 to 4.8 in order to run fine without having performance issues while testing.
FX Production has been made for years since the last CEO Drake Myer, the new CEO said he's going to do a lot of surprises...

For those who are frustrated about Zambezi, there will be a 2nd generation of Bulldozer codenamed "PileDriver" 3rd generation called "Steamroller" 4th geneation "Excavator"

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I am really into the over clocking part of it. Should I get it just for the over clocking part of it. I would like to have a 5 GHZ CPU. I wonder how the performance is at 5 GHZ. I have a Noctua NH-D14 I can strap to it's ass.

it was a little funny day btw, everybody treats the new FX like a sempron processor compared to the 2600K.
sandy bridges hits 5 GHz as well, if you wanna buy the FX just grab it, you won't make a crime, you won't be disappointed with performance.
the difference in noticeable in a bunch of numbers given by bench softwares.
For a stable 5 GHz OC you need a goo water cooling kit, and better wait for reviews on a stable OC

and that isnt a good thing when 90% of the software out there doesnt take advantage of that many cores. Maybe a couple years down the track they should have released an 8 core CPU, when software can actually use it. They should have just stuck to more powerful 4 and 6 core cpu's like intel, and for anyone who wants more they can buy their opteron models.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
With what you are doing on that computer, the Bulldozer would give you a little more performance in my opinion, but not enough to warrant replacing your current Phenom x6.

My suggestion is that you wait until the PileDriver and Windows 8 come out next year. The PileDriver update to the Bulldozer architecture is expected to boost performance by 10 - 15 % and Windows 8 will offer better multicore management for the Bulldozer so that the games that you play won't run painfully slow.

BTW, PileDriver based FX series are expected sometime next year!

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I know the feeling you want to upgrade, but according to the benches that are currently out, bulldozer seems to be an unwarranted and unnecessary upgrade especially for the current cpu that you have.

There may be more benches released, but the ones that I have looked at and the videos that I have watched have all concluded that the fx 8150 performance is similar or less than the i5-2500k in the majority of applications.

The games that you currently play don't really need anymore CPU power, but hell if you have the money and you want a new toy, than go for it. I personally would not.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I would take that with a pinch of salt.

It maybe less than 10%.

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I feel really stupid for buying in to this board. Here is the past board I had
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631
Do u think it was a dumb idea that I replaced the 890GX with my 990fx board. I wanted SLI but was stuck on cross fire. The overclocking features on this board is awesome too bad I don't have a new bulldozer cpu that is worth the upgrade cost. I feel like some one punched me in the gut really hard. I am feeling really stupid right now.

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Guess there will be a bios update soon........ Don't repent so much. These things happen.

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I will wait for the price to drop and see how people accept it. I would buy it for $190 US based on it's performance and over clocking it would be a fair price. I got my 1055t for $120 US on sale when it was first launch.

do i have to mention a list of applications that benefit from a 12 core not just 8 core ? read the article well and you'll find out that's it's recommended than the Phenom II family in multi-threaded apps as if you'll use your PC as a home server.