bastler

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hey,

I have been surviving but only just on my bandaged up old machine. Old machine;

GPU: 2 x 8800gtx's (Now dead - as of last week)
CPU: QX6700Extreme (Still fine but LGA775)
RAM: 4GB DDR2 (Now down to 2GB)
MB: EVGA680i (Still fine but LGA775)
PSU: Was a corsair forgot model (Now an aywun)
HDDS: 2 X 200gb sata II (raid striped) - Very close to failing - 2 x 1 TB drives storage (still fine)

At the moment I am playing SC2 and LFD2, when wow expansions come out I play them for 4 months or so. My previous machine was bought in late 2006 so at the time it was basically all money could buy (here anyway) I really don't have the money to be stupid and get a machine like that this time. I just want something that will give me good performance in most games and a machine thats stable.

I have more then enough experience with building machines and have a decent idea of what I want. It has however been a long time since I have been in the IT industry so knowledge on recent parts is lacking so hopefully this is where everyone else comes in.

Roughly this is what I was thinking;

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K (happy to go AMD but know nothing about their recent cpu's)
GPU - 2 X GTX 560's
MB - Really don't know
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1333 (not sure what brand)
HDDS - Really unsure here - should I raid or not? Cant afford SSD.
Cooler - Not sure on cooler either but this is not a huge price

Sadly this build might push up over $700. So any recommendations are much appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: Early August

Budget Range: $600-$700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Only thing it is used for is gaming

Parts Not Required: storage HDDS, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, cd/dvd, case, PSU should be ok (http://www.aywun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=102)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com (probably the closest I will be getting them through www.altech.com.au, so aus wholesale is about newegg prices)

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: I don't care...I have a full tower case if it helps

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: I want to (but if for the price its better not to then I wont)

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 (Only have 19" should make it easier on the gpu)

Additional Comments: N/A

I hope I have given enough information. All advice is helpful.

Cheers,

Matt

brandondiep

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
You do not need 2 560s to play sc2, lfd2 or WoW and your resolution is not that high.. The asus p8p67 or Z68 pro would allow you to sli in the future and they are high quality. Get some good quality ram (cheap one always die on me) corsair etc... Psu seem fine for a 560 sli setup. Cooler master 212+ is a good cooler for under 50 bucks, not the best but good enough and the price is bomb.

bastler

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Thanks for the reply mate,

Yeh i know I dont need 2 560's for these games as they run maxed on my old system. I do however want to be able to run newer games as I see fit.

Yeh I got cheap ram last build and it had to be replaced early on. I will take a look at the 212 now see what I can get it for over here.

Matt