Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asrock z77 extreme 4 issue

Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2012 5:17:00 PM

So i installed my Asrock z77 extreme 4 with an i5 2500k and everything works great.

I am running a 750 GB hDD with an 80GB ssd as the Cache drive. Had to set raid in the bios and plug in the sata cables to the correct sata ports on the mobo to get the system to finally recognize the ssd as an available cache drive and everything works great.

EXCEPT... every cold boot, when the post shows the raid controller and associated drives, it shows the array as DISABLED and therefore will not boot.
The workaround that I have used to get past this is to ctrl+alt+del when i see the error and it will then re-post and see the drives and boot normally.

I have updated the bios to the latest (1.8) and the behavior is the same.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior with the ASROCK z77 boards? Its almost as if the drives are not initialized before the system is ready to boot, therefore fails.

a c 328 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 5:29:04 PM

Hi there,

Why don't u use the SSD as a system drive?

Which ports are u using?

Photo would help : )
Score
July 6, 2012 5:50:47 PM

I thought about using it as a system drive, but its pretty small. (80GB) I wanted to take advantage of intel's ssd caching feature.

I am not in front of the unit now, but will post what ports i a using later when i get home.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 328 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 5:54:24 PM

I use 55GB Vertex2.

caching feature sucks vs SSD with system on it.

U don't have to install everything on it.
July 6, 2012 6:17:17 PM

nikorr said:
I use 55GB Vertex2.

If i dont get this little bug worked out ,I may just go ahead and load the OS on the SSD.
Here is a pic i had taken a couple of weeks ago. If you look just below the video card, you should be able to see where the sata cables are plugged in.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 9:14:45 PM

Did u install the correct drivers?
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 9:17:05 PM

SATA RAID Driver Installation Guide
SATA RAID Driver is for users who plan to install Windows OS on SATA / SATAII HDDs with RAID functions. To use RAID functions, you need to make a SATA RAID Driver floppy diskette before you install the operation system, such as Windows XP. If you do not plan to use RAID functions, it is not necessary to make a SATA RAID Driver floppy diskette. Please follow below steps for the usage of SATA RAID Driver:

Copy the SATA RAID Driver from our website to your SATA HDDs. Unzip it, and copy all the files and folders to an empty diskette.
Make sure that the “SATA Operation Mode” option in BIOS setup is set to RAID mode.
Install Windows OS to your system. At the beginning of Windows setup, please press F6 and insert the SATA RAID Driver floppy diskette you just made. Then you are allowed to select the required driver to install after your system reading the SATA RAID Driver floppy diskette.
After Windows OS installation, use the RAID tool in our support CD to configure RAID arrays under BIOS or Windows environment.
For the details of RAID operation procedures, please refer to our user manual in the support CD or quick installation guide for further information

SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation).
ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/Intel/SATA/Floppy_Win7-64_W...(v11.1.0.1006).zip

mobo drivers
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Down...
Score
July 6, 2012 10:46:40 PM

nikorr said:
Did u install the correct drivers?

Nikor, Yes, the drivers are up to date. However, this happens at the hardware level, before any drivers get loaded.
Here's the Pic of the error message I get.
But on a warm re-boot I dont get this error.
Score
July 8, 2012 6:19:54 PM

nikorr said:
I use 55GB Vertex2.

Yep, SSD caching sucks. :wahoo: 
Score
July 8, 2012 6:20:01 PM

Best answer selected by deathengine.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 7:09:44 PM

Good luck : )
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 7:09:48 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr