Trying to choose motherboard

mflynn99

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hello,
Looking to build a new system. The last one I built is now nine years old.
I want a motherboard that will stand the test of time and be able to take better/faster cpu and video when I can afford them.
Like to go Gigabyte as I've read favorable reviews and I've downloaded one of their manuals and it seems very thorough and easy to follow.
Are the Z77-based boards the way to go?
They seem to support a wide range of Intel cpus and can support dual cards that I might want to go to eventually.

If Z77 then I'm finding it hard to choose between them. I want to use the full ATX size.

Mike

mflynn99

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I was thinking of getting an Intel i5 or i7
Running 64-bit Windows
8GB of Ram (maybe more later if it ever gets cheaper)
and start with a $250-ish graphics card.
Mike

mflynn99

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks for replying.

Not sure if should reply to you or to forum.

I was thinking of getting an Intel i5 or i7
Running 64-bit Windows
8GB of Ram (maybe more later if it ever gets cheaper)
and start with a $180 - $250-ish graphics card.

I will not initally overclock it.

Want capability for two video cards later and perhaps buy a faster cpu.

I do want on-board video (does not have to be highest quality or performance) so that I have that to fall back on if having trouble getting video card to work.

Just want to air cool it - not contemplating water cooling at this stage.

Mike

OK, whats the budget for the CPU?

Or whats the budget for all of it.

The best way to get the best deal, is to list the list all the parts that u need and the money for it.

People start with mobo, than they say the won't OC. And that changes everything.

mflynn99

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Well, you have a good point. I'll start slow. Then when I'm sure it's working, I'll experiment carefully with overclocking. I'm usually pretty thorough and meticulous and read the manuals carefully, so I should be able to experiment without blowing it up. Also, it seems that the Gigabyte boards have a tool that makes overclocking pretty easy and an option to find a safe & stable level of OC for you on your system.

I was thinking of this:

MB:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 ($309 at new egg)
or
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz for $30 more ($349)
or
core i7-2600K ($289)

Video:
GeForce GTX560

Memory:
Need help choosing. Looking at compatibility charts I find hundreds of options. What about G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM ?

Would I be better with something with a faster (i.e. shorter) latency? Would I notice the difference?

Recently trying to isolate a problem I put a new PSU in my current system and took the opportunity to install two new hard drives - one of them a SSD. I will use them for my new system, so I am set for the power supply and the hard drives.

I'd like your opinions.

I also have a question about upgrading the BIOS version. If the board has BIOS version 2, but to use the memory you want you need BIOS version 7 or later, how to you update the BIOS? Do you have to temporarily build the system with BIOS 2 compatible memory, get it running, then update the BIOS, then swap the memory?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Mike