Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX580 vs. GTX570 SLI vs. something else?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 5, 2011 7:29:59 PM

Hello dear community! :bounce: 

I'm finally going to assemble a new Gaming PC of ownage and buttkicking
and therefore looking for your wonderful insights on the subject in question.

The system is going to be based upon a Core i7 2600k which will be
pushed over 4GHz and an appropriate amount of 2000MHz RAM, probably
around 4 gigs.

Now, when it comes to the variety of GPU solutions of today, I'm getting
quite confused. The ultimate goal is maxed out playability at 1920x1080.
And here's the catch: I don't care whether my Black Ops are running at
120 or 180 FPS. The paramount importance are minimum frame rates!
For example, I really enjoy playing StarCraft II competitively thus absolutely
cannot afford any framedrops below at least 40 FPS for even a quarter second,
since that marginal time frame can be a deciding factor in an important battle.

So, I heard quite a few different opinions on SLI vs single card, microstutter
issues etc. For instance, I heard that if you aren't getting, say 60 FPS on a
single card, you aren't going to have any benefit in terms of minimum frame
rates when adding another card and running them in CF/SLI. Is that so?

My target monitor refresh rate will probably be 60Hz, I don't give a flying
monkey about Stereovision or 3D and my budget is about 600 Euro (900$).

What should I get?
Thanks in advance! :sol: 

More about : gtx580 gtx570 sli

a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 7:43:28 PM

I would start with a single gtx 570 and then sli it if it does not meet your req but overall a single gtx 570 paired with a 2600k should be more than enough for 1080p
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 8:16:33 PM

Minimum framerate goes up with SLI/CF for sure.

A single 570 is probably enough, but honestly I'd take the 580. I'm running two OCed 5850s which tend to do about as well in benchmarks as a single 580 and they're enough to max out every game with good FPS except Metro 2033, which runs at 20-50 FPS with DoF and 4xMSAA. Turned off DoF and then it runs over 60fps most of the time.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2011 8:53:22 PM

^ yeah given the OPs budget I would agree with getting a 580
May 5, 2011 11:01:00 PM

i sold my dual 5870's and went with GTX 580 its very good far enough even with 3d so now take the most powerful single card Gtx 580 then you can SLI it in the future for now its your best deal because not all games support SLI or scales it to 100% so go to the 580
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 1:32:29 AM

^ agreed the 580 is a beast!!!! do you have the asus triple slot one?: that thing is a straight monster
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 3:28:15 AM

Two GTX570's in SLI are indeed a formidable pair; but so are Crossfired 6950s at about $200 less....
May 6, 2011 4:52:03 AM

I recently got AMD 6950s in crossfire. I got two of them recently and am very happy with them. I can't really give personal comparisons versus the other cards have been mentioned, but I can say that the combo of these cards is really really good.

Just to give you an idea: here's a video I made of the game in crysis at 1080p with everything at very high at 8xaa. According to the benchmark, I got 60 frames per second average.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7raBe0KSROM
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 6:14:48 AM

I kind of like the idea of getting a single 570 or 6950/70. You can always add another later if you find that's not enough. The 580 isn't exactly a value oriented card. The cost is awfully high for the extra performance.
May 6, 2011 3:05:06 PM

well i disagree with @bystander dual 570 is more expensive than single 580 if he got one 570 now not all games will be maxed out with it atleast at high resolutions like 2560x1600 but if he got gtx 580 now and sli it in the future he will not worry that he have the most powerful single gpu for me @jjb8675309 my asus take 3 slots and my temps are extremely good comparing it to another design but it take a lot of power you need to have 2 8-pin for single gpu
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 6:08:04 PM

johnnyq8 said:
well i disagree with @bystander dual 570 is more expensive than single 580 if he got one 570 now not all games will be maxed out with it atleast at high resolutions like 2560x1600 but if he got gtx 580 now and sli it in the future he will not worry that he have the most powerful single gpu for me @jjb8675309 my asus take 3 slots and my temps are extremely good comparing it to another design but it take a lot of power you need to have 2 8-pin for single gpu


A 580 is 50% more expensive than a 570/6970. It's only about 10% faster. You are essentially paying for bleeding edge technology.

At 1080p, which is what the OP is looking to play at, a 570 will also play everything maxed out.

If down the road he wants an upgrade, two 570's are a lot faster than a single 580. They also only cost 50% more now.

I'm all for going with a single card, and a single 570 is great and at a much more reasonable price to performance ratio.
May 7, 2011 1:47:37 AM

bystander said:
A 580 is 50% more expensive than a 570/6970. It's only about 10% faster. You are essentially paying for bleeding edge technology.

At 1080p, which is what the OP is looking to play at, a 570 will also play everything maxed out.

If down the road he wants an upgrade, two 570's are a lot faster than a single 580. They also only cost 50% more now.

I'm all for going with a single card, and a single 570 is great and at a much more reasonable price to performance ratio.


you must didnt understand me
take this for your knowledge
dont count on getting dual card in the future but count on getting the most powerful single card now you told me that 580 is 50% more expensive than GTX 570 but i didnt talk about single 570 i talked about dual 570
a single 570 will cost 340 $ and single 580 will cost 500 $ i dont think that 160 $ between both is 50% diffrence you said that 570 is slower than 580 by 10% but that not truth in everything the average diffrence is 18% and the extra vram that the GTX 580 has will do very good at 3d or higher resolutions than 1080p as i told you if he got 580 now he will be good and cheaper than gtx 570 sli and if he planned to sli it in the near future he will sli the most powerful single gpu im not fan boy by the way
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 7, 2011 2:03:38 AM

johnnyq8 said:
you must didnt understand me
take this for your knowledge
dont count on getting dual card in the future but count on getting the most powerful single card now you told me that 580 is 50% more expensive than GTX 570 but i didnt talk about single 570 i talked about dual 570
a single 570 will cost 340 $ and single 580 will cost 500 $ i dont think that 160 $ between both is 50% diffrence you said that 570 is slower than 580 by 10% but that not truth in everything the average diffrence is 18% and the extra vram that the GTX 580 has will do very good at 3d or higher resolutions than 1080p as i told you if he got 580 now he will be good and cheaper than gtx 570 sli and if he planned to sli it in the near future he will sli the most powerful single gpu im not fan boy by the way


You don't sound like a fanboy, you just sound like you don't look for a decent value.

Yes, he compared two 570's to 1 580, but I said I'd prefer a 570 to a 580 due to the horrible value on the 580, and at 1080p, he's not likely going to need a 580 or notice a difference over a single 570.

340 * 150% (increase of 50%) = $510
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 7, 2011 2:11:19 AM

It's true that for top performance at lowest cost, the only way to go is SLI and Crossfire. For that matter SLI 560 Ti would be faster than a 580 and cheaper, and same goes for CF 6950 2gbs which could probably have their extra shaders unlocked too, for almost 6970 performance.

For me, the reason I recommended a 580 is it is hella fast on its own, and there will never be SLI issues that occasionally can crop up.
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2011 2:22:55 AM

Venetti,

Which ever GPU solution you chose a monitor with a 60Hz refresh won't be able to use anything over 60 FPS. Simply put, all those extra frames will not be visible because of the low refresh rate. You need a 120Hz refresh to realize the full advantage of the higher frame rates.

A GTX 570 with a monitor with 120 Hz refresh is going to kick butt more than a GTX 580 with a 60Hz monitor.

!