Crossroads: AMD FX or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I was very excited to hear that AMD finally released their new generation of Bulldozer CPUs. I have been waiting for this CPU for months, and have heard rumors about how it would out perform the competition dramatically with 8 core power and such. But after reading some of the benchmarks, it appears that the FX 8150 only excels in a handful of tests and categories, not the all-around badass that I thought it was going to be. Surprisingly, it fell short to even it's predecessor, Phenom x6, in several tests involving single thread apps, and it only outperformed the i7-2600k once or twice. I feel like all the anticipation and excitement has suddenly gone down the drain, and at $250, the FX 8150 is sort of the unstable median between the i7-2600k and the i5-2500k.

Is it still worth it for me to go after the FX processors? And if I do get an FX CPU, I would probably get the 8120 instead, which for about the same price, could get me the i5-2500k.

Solution
IMO the ONLY reason to get one would be if you already had a compatable motherboard for the FX chips. If you have to go out and buy a new motherboard, then Intel is the obvious choice, the quad core 2500k is faster across the board and overclocks well and can be bought for around $200. If a quad core CPU can beat AMD's 8 core CPU, then something went very wrong at AMD, especially the rediculous power consumption that it takes to do the same or less work as an intel CPU.

c_h1132

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
its decent, but the reason im not getting is it uses double the watts intel and previous phenom does!!! thats a huge amount of heat. i think i read somewhere in the 400w for an OC fx8150 compared to 200w that intel uses.

IMO the ONLY reason to get one would be if you already had a compatable motherboard for the FX chips. If you have to go out and buy a new motherboard, then Intel is the obvious choice, the quad core 2500k is faster across the board and overclocks well and can be bought for around $200. If a quad core CPU can beat AMD's 8 core CPU, then something went very wrong at AMD, especially the rediculous power consumption that it takes to do the same or less work as an intel CPU.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.