HIS 5770 1gb screen flicker gpu going bad?

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
My screen flickers when i surf the web especially on sites like youtube. When i disconnect my 2nd monitor it dosent though. Is this because its not a good enough gpu or its going bad? Also right when i got the card it would play cod4 everything maxed at 1920x1080 around 90fps now it seems to barely touch 90 and is often in the 60-70fps range and drops to the 30's during explosions but i havent noticed any screen fragmenting or tearing. I may be being to critical of it since the first one i got was doa...
Thanks

The screen flickering is a known issue I believe, but it was supposed to be fixed in most of the recent driver packages. It had to do with the idle clocks going too low when a 2nd monitor was attached.

As for the change in FPS... could be from having 2 monitors plugged in. In fact it might be the same issue. If the idle clocks are having trouble, maybe in 3D it clocks up to the wrong speeds. Normally there's idle, UVD, and 3D clock settings. For my 5850 they are 157/300, 500/900 and 700/1000 (stock, mine's actually 870/1200).

So... what drivers are you using? You could definitely do a complete reinstallation with 11.4 and see if that helps. This would include completely uninstalling the drivers first, rebooting, running driver sweeper to get rid of everything, then rebooting again and installing.

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I installed 11.4 a few hours ago with no change... then i realized it was the xp version lol.. so downloading w7 version now and will see in a few mins. Before i was running whatever drivers were on the disk. If i did a complete new instillation would i have to get rid of every things drivers? Also i unpluged the 2nd monitor and the fps didnt change.

Can somone provide me a link to a good benchmark?

Thanks

EDIT: No change with the right drivers...