Sign in with
Your question

OC'ing AMD Athlon II x3 @ 2.7 ghz stock first time CPU OC

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2011 3:51:17 AM

So this is my first time thinking of OC'ing my CPU its a triple core Athlon II @ a stock 2.7 ghz, the only experience I have with OCing is with my card stock 775 mhz clock pushed to 840 mhz.

I know how multipliers and everything works how to OC in my BIOS etc, but I have a mini-ATX MOBO and I was wondering if that would be something to worry about. I don't want ot push it too high since it has a stock fan but I was thinking of maybe pushing to 3.0 ghz, I know it can run stable as high as 3.6 ghz with a proper fan but since my fan is stock atm I obviously don't want to push it hard just some bonus performance.

Here are my stock settings on the CPU any recommended clocks to push from these would be appreciated

core speed: 2712.3mhz

multipler x13.5

Bus speed 200.9 mhz

HT Link 803.7 mhz

Core volatage: 1.328v

AMD Athlon II x3 425 @ 2.7 ghz

Ram: 4G DDR3 @ 1333 mhz

Video Card: HD Radeon 5670 OC'd

Power Supply: 450w Corsair

MOBO: Foxxconn mini-atx
October 13, 2011 4:10:44 AM

So I guess I would be looking to push the bus speed to 222 or if its increments of 5 I guess 225 mhz to get the clock I want, would I need to up my voltage at all for this much of an OC? And would I need to lower my ram speed etc?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2011 4:19:21 AM

Here's a primer, albeit its a little older but would apply to your CPU:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-cpu-overclock,2...

I do recommend using AMD overdrive to monitor temps and do light stress testing. Then I typically lock the best settings in BIOS. HOWEVER, don't be surprised if you have difficulty with that mobo. You didn't give a model name or anything, but I have my wife's Athlon II X3 in a budget mobo and I wasn't able to OC one bit. It just doesn't have the quality components for overclocking, although I haven't tried it in another board so I am uncertain if the chip can OC at all. Your mileage may vary as they say, but it doesn't sound like an overclocking board at all.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 4:24:49 AM

Foxconn M61pmp-k is the MOBO I don't think its decent enough to really OC but if the Voltage and multiplier are locked If I try to OC a little it isn't risking serious damage correct? Like I said I'm not going for a major OC. I know the chip can OC because Ive found quite a few threads where people have pushed it from 2.7 to like 3.6 with the 4th core unlocked.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/motherboards/deta...
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2011 5:04:05 AM

Fatalityz said:
Foxconn M61pmp-k is the MOBO I don't think its decent enough to really OC but if the Voltage and multiplier are locked If I try to OC a little it isn't risking serious damage correct? Like I said I'm not going for a major OC. I know the chip can OC because Ive found quite a few threads where people have pushed it from 2.7 to like 3.6 with the 4th core unlocked.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/motherboards/deta...

First of all, I seriously doubt you'll get a 900Mhz overclock. My black edition X3 can only manage 800MHz stable, and that's with a very nice $200 overclockers motherboard. Second of all, Most folks who unlock and OC find their overclock severely hampered by unlocking. Some folks like to brag, bend the truth a little to make themselves look better. The reliable overclocks I've seen with unlocked CPU cores are around 500Mhz.

Third of all, its tough to speculate how much damage may happen. Do you have the OEM heatsink, or something better? Micro ATX vs ATX doesn't really matter, its the quality of the components. Overclocking boards have solid caps, powerful circuits and can handle extra heat, voltage, and abuse. A budget board does not have a lot of these features, your mobo certainly falls into this category.

How about your case? Does it have great airflow? Can it handle excess heat with ease?

I'm gonna guess that if you are successful at overclocking this CPU, you'll get another 300Mhz. This shouldn't put undue pressure on your components, but there's no guarantee. Let me ask you this, are you prepared if something were to happen to buy a new CPU, motherboard, or both? Consider your options carefully. Many $50 motherboards I've used over the years die after about 3 years. This is under normal working conditions, no overclocking, no serious gaming just an avg PC. 3 years is about the best you can expect for a budget board.
m
l
October 13, 2011 5:36:47 AM

I only want to OC by 300 mhz from 2.7 ghz to 3.0 I was just saying people have gone massively high on this chip as an example. But I think Ill just keep it stock for now I suppose, I just wanted a little more boost for BF3 for some reason I can get a solid like 40-70 fps in Bad Company 2 but in this BF3 Beta I was having trouble staying between like 28-35 but I think its just the fact that the game isn't optimized being a beta and its paranoia that stems from that.

As for upgrading my comp would I be better off getting a new mobo + an OC'able CPU fan and push my triple core hard or just get a phenom II x4 stock and settle for that?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2011 6:07:05 AM

Fatalityz said:
I only want to OC by 300 mhz from 2.7 ghz to 3.0 I was just saying people have gone massively high on this chip as an example. But I think Ill just keep it stock for now I suppose, I just wanted a little more boost for BF3 for some reason I can get a solid like 40-70 fps in Bad Company 2 but in this BF3 Beta I was having trouble staying between like 28-35 but I think its just the fact that the game isn't optimized being a beta and its paranoia that stems from that.

As for upgrading my comp would I be better off getting a new mobo + an OC'able CPU fan and push my triple core hard or just get a phenom II x4 stock and settle for that?

This question involves your video card/resolution so it would be difficult to answer without more info. If you got an X4, say the X4 955 for $105-115, you would have a very capable gaming CPU plus the ability to OC pretty easily. Again, you don't really have the mobo for it so the overclocking is kind of a moot point. However, you'd a have a quad at 3.2 Ghz vs a triple core at 2.7 which would be quite an improvement. Specific performance in BF3 I can't attest to, but I think if I were you I'd consider the X4. Its really quite a good deal right now, and if you were to upgrade mobo or heatsink or whatever you'd have a good overclocking chip on your hands.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2011 6:12:37 AM

Oh another thing, your motherboard may not be capable of handling the 125W Phenom IIs. Just another reason why a $50 motherboard doesn't make a good home for a gaming system.
You may be stuck for upgrades on that board.
m
l
October 13, 2011 7:20:13 PM

Yeah I noticed that yesterday on Tiger direct the 95w chips aren't near as good besides the fact that I'm stuck at 4 gigs of ram and can't crossfire with this Mobo.
m
l
!