PSU Calc ***Release Candidate*** v0.99

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hi folks, new-ish around here, but I've been helping out the enthusiast community for quite a while as the Power Supply Editor at Overclock.net. ;)

This is the Release Candidate v0.99 version of PSUCalc, the new power supply calculator I've been developing in conjunction with another OCN member. It is not officially affiliated with OCN, but we will be making a custom version for them. This version has all the features of the final v1.0 release of the product. We need YOU guys to help us out by searching out any and all bugs in this program, give us any last minute advice, and just generally help us make this program the best it can possibly be.

RC Download Here!

psu_calc_v0_99_by_phaedrus2401-d4co08b.png

Release notes:
-Release Candidate! Feature freeze!
-Fixed two major math bugs
-Fixed numerous minor bugs
-Added save/load configuration functionality. Exported configurations saved as .psu files and can be loaded on any other computer with PSU Calc v0.99 and up
-Added reset button
-Updated database

File Bug Reports Here

Info: This program was made by myself and FiX, one of OCN's devoted New Zealand members. Fix originally demonstrated a mock-up of the program, then we got to work, with FiX doing the programming and other technical wizardry, and me doing the calculator math and such.

Disclaimer: The creators of this program are not liable for damages caused by use or misuse of this program or its advice. All wattage numbers given are approximate recommendations and are not intended to be definitive, nor necessarily indicative of actual power consumption. This tool is meant to help enthusiasts, not to be relied on exclusively.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

Try weird and unusual combinations of components, and abuse the program--click buttons while it's working, mess with the settings, etc. The goal is to find any and all possible bugs before final release.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
- More optical drives don't add wattage
- Why since i5 second gen have same TDP than i7 second gen, changing between them changes the Total wattage?

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
More optical drives *don't* add wattage. A bit of a sneak I guess, but there are things that really have absolutely zero affect on what power supply you get; but people still demand that they be able to input those devices into the calculations. So I include ODD and SSD options for people to fill out, but they don't affect the wattage recommendation because those devices pull negligible power.

The i5 2500 and i7 2600 have the same listed TDP, but different real world power consumption.

will011

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

hmm I tried it, and I only got 325W recommended yet I use a XFX ATI HD 6850 and i5 2500k with 4 RAM sticks. Also, case fans don't add any wattage either do they?

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
That's a pretty close recommendation for wattage (although slightly low; need to check some stuff). And case fans don't add wattage unless you add a ton of them, because they really, truly don't pull much power.