Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Do I have enough watts for HD6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 5, 2011 11:06:12 PM

I currently have a 600W PSU (don't know what brand), and I keep seeing that it should be more than enough, but I want to be sure that I have enough.

I currently have the following:

ASUS M4A785-M motherboard
1 HP DVD-RW
AMD Phenom x4 95w processor
1 250 SATA drive (don't know what brand. I think Seagate)
1 1TB SATA Western Digital drive
3 80mm fans (including the one on my Cooler Master heatsink...awesome one, btw...running my processor COLD)
1 Sound Blaster Fatality Pro sound card (refurbished, but works as if it's brand new)

I would be replacing my nvidia GT430 with this one (HIS Radeon 6870). I don't overclock and I don't have the resourced to xfire (really have no plans on buying two of these). My case is the Apevia (sp?) X-Infinity, if that makes a difference.

The power supply calculators are saying I would have more than enough (putting these into http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine , regardless of how much I tweak it to make sure I have the right specs) doesn't go above 500w.

So...should I be able to run this?

EDIT: Also, the instructions say that the molex connectors are optional to use, but I see everywhere else saying they're required on this beast. So which is it? Are they or not? I'm confused!

More about : watts hd6870

May 6, 2011 2:44:53 AM

You should, I have an i7 990x with an gtx 550ti 1gb GDDR5,6gb ram 1333mhz,sabertooth x58 motherboard. and I run it on 600w, you should look at the case of your graphics card it should say how much power you need. But I realy think you have enough. The molex connectors are optional but highly recomended.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 3:21:35 AM

Can you link me the PSU? With a good PSU, you are fine, with a bad one, it could take your whole system.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 3:18:10 PM

darkpowrjd said:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DUAL-PW-600&cat...

I posted this on a gaming forum, and they said this is a POS PSU (their words). I have to think they're right.

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X24ISU/ref=ox_ya_o...

Only reason I didn't go higher is because the higher ones weren't Prime eligible, for some reason (Amazon didn't have any of them in their own warehouses, for some odd reason).

With the Corsair, you should be good to go! :sol: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 3:59:31 PM

Yup, Corsair makes great PSUs. You are fine. ;) 
m
0
l
May 6, 2011 4:30:08 PM

yeh cool even u can cfx;)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 4:42:34 PM

Just to let you know for the future, Corsair just takes Seasonic PSUs and re-badges them. Seasonic makes the best PSUs in the world. So, that means Corsair does too. You could CFX two hd6870s with that PSU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 4:47:26 PM

What Phenom CPU do you have? Is it Phenom, or Phenom II? A Phenom might bottleneck a hd6870. What res too?
m
0
l
May 6, 2011 8:45:19 PM

HostileDonut said:
What Phenom CPU do you have? Is it Phenom, or Phenom II? A Phenom might bottleneck a hd6870. What res too?


Just the first one. I'm not that rich at the moment to upgrade it to a P2 yet (I want to, but I don't have that much yet).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 8:47:57 PM

Okay, what is the Ghz?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2011 1:59:57 AM

darkpowrjd said:
Can't find where it would display that on CPUz! What number am I looking for?

EDIT: nvm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2.4 Ghz.

I hope I don't have to buy a new processor just to use this GPU, too!

What res? If you can bump up the res, AA, AF, and all settings highest, it might not hold it back.
m
0
l
May 7, 2011 6:22:52 AM

HostileDonut said:
What res? If you can bump up the res, AA, AF, and all settings highest, it might not hold it back.


I have no clue how to check that, and don't know how it would hold it back or how badly it would.

I linked to the wrong thing. That's the right processor, but the 95W edition. Not sure where to go to find the other stuff (don't see it on CPU-Z).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2011 6:32:19 AM

Go to your desktop, right click, and press screen resolution. If you use Win. XP, right click properties, and then go to the last one section I think. I don't remember, i haven't used XP in a while. Go to Start>Run>DXDIAG>Display. Monitor res.
m
0
l
May 7, 2011 7:33:38 AM

HostileDonut said:
Go to your desktop, right click, and press screen resolution. If you use Win. XP, right click properties, and then go to the last one section I think. I don't remember, i haven't used XP in a while. Go to Start>Run>DXDIAG>Display. Monitor res.


AHHH!!

Thought you were talking about something completely different. Just didn't understand the acronym you were using for it.

I currently run a 1440x900 monitor and res. I'm just comfortable with that size, I guess, because I tried to find a monitor with that res after the last one I had went bad.

I still don't know how the CPU can hold the card back! Was asking that, actually?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2011 5:10:05 PM

Yeah, your CPU will hold back your GPU. I would recommend a hd 5770 1gb instead.
m
0
l
May 7, 2011 8:31:51 PM

HostileDonut said:
Yeah, your CPU will hold back your GPU. I would recommend a hd 5770 1gb instead.


How would it? I'm confused of how it would!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2011 10:58:51 PM

Okay, you CPU sends instructions for your GPU, but when your CPU is sending the instructions as fast as it can and the GPU is not using it's full capability, it is a bottleneck. Your GPU will be faster than the CPU and the CPU will not be able to send the instructions as fast as the GPU can process it. Playing at a higher res, more AA, more AF, and more max settings will reduce a bottleneck. Unfortunately, your res isn't high enough to reduce the bottleneck. I would suggest a hd 5770 because they would run at around the same speed. Would you upgrade to a Phenom II anytime soon? That would cut away the bottleneck if you had a 3.2Ghz version. Not the 840 though. The 955.
m
0
l
May 9, 2011 6:57:29 AM

HostileDonut said:
Okay, you CPU sends instructions for your GPU, but when your CPU is sending the instructions as fast as it can and the GPU is not using it's full capability, it is a bottleneck. Your GPU will be faster than the CPU and the CPU will not be able to send the instructions as fast as the GPU can process it. Playing at a higher res, more AA, more AF, and more max settings will reduce a bottleneck. Unfortunately, your res isn't high enough to reduce the bottleneck. I would suggest a hd 5770 because they would run at around the same speed. Would you upgrade to a Phenom II anytime soon? That would cut away the bottleneck if you had a 3.2Ghz version. Not the 840 though. The 955.


Actually, yeah, I was planning on soon getting a P2 soon. I got the one I have now because I was really in a need of an upgrade from my 929 socket (which couldn't even play Mass Effect without getting unplayable).

At the moment, all my games are playing extremely well, with only a few hiccups in places. Mafia 2 is playing maxed with no slowdown, Alien vs. Predator with no slowdown (not sure if it's maxed or not because there's a LOT of settings, but I turned on the DX11 settings with no consequence), and AC is running really good (only when I set Graphics to 4 from 2 do I experience any issues, and those are small). I don't have Crysis (I know it's a demanding game and a good way to test it out, but I don't want to buy an entire game just to test this out). I'm going to be trying Starcraft 2 with it soon (I accidentally moved more than I intended when I moved my Steam game files to my other drive, which screwed up some of the file locations, so I have to redownload SC2 to even play it).

In WoW, I'm able to play on high with some FPS drops in SW (which might be expected now since half the server is either in Stormwind or Orgimmar following the expansion). Ultra does cause some hiccups, which means that you might have a point with the bottleneck: if it's playing the other games to near perfection, then WoW should be no problem (then again, maybe I should try Ultra in a place that's not overpopulated).

It's not enough to make me rush to buy a P2, but it's enough to see your point.
m
0
l
May 9, 2011 1:26:48 PM

HostileDonut said:
Just to let you know for the future, Corsair just takes Seasonic PSUs and re-badges them. Seasonic makes the best PSUs in the world. So, that means Corsair does too. You could CFX two hd6870s with that PSU.


Not all Corsair PSU's are made by Seasonic and I think the majority are made by themselves these days, although the Corsair own made ones are still quality I think on tests the numbers are not quite as good as Seasonic's
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 5:44:10 AM

klsdivan said:
Not all Corsair PSU's are made by Seasonic and I think the majority are made by themselves these days, although the Corsair own made ones are still quality I think on tests the numbers are not quite as good as Seasonic's

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks! Either way, Corsair is still great.
m
0
l
May 10, 2011 10:08:45 PM

Do you think the Phenom2 x4 is good enough, or do I have to pair it with x6 to not bottleneck it?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 10:13:30 PM

darkpowrjd said:
Do you think the Phenom2 x4 is good enough, or do I have to pair it with x6 to not bottleneck it?

Most games only can take 2 threads, but some will take 4. Very rarely there is a game that will take more than 4. The Phenom II X6 is a waste of money when gaming. You won't see a difference besides a few FPS from a X4 to a X6. X6 is not for gaming. Stick with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 and OC it.
m
0
l
May 10, 2011 10:15:38 PM

HostileDonut said:
Most games only can take 2 threads, but some will take 4. Very rarely there is a game that will take more than 4. The Phenom II X6 is a waste of money when gaming. You won't see a difference besides a few FPS from a X4 to a X6. X6 is not for gaming. Stick with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 and OC it.


I was thinking more along the lines of something like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Phenom-Black-3-4Ghz-512KB-4000MHZ...

Don't know why I have to OC it. I don't OC.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2011 10:19:32 PM

darkpowrjd said:
I was thinking more along the lines of something like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Phenom-Black-3-4Ghz-512KB-4000MHZ...

Don't know why I have to OC it. I don't OC.

You really don't have to OC, juts the CPU is a great OCer if you get a C3 stepping model. It would be a waste not to. Free performance, why not? I would get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Cheap and C3

Or this if you don't want to OC at all: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... C3 stepping too

If you don't want to OC, it is your choice, but you could get out .4Ghz out of it pretty easily I think.
m
0
l
!