Sign in with
Your question

Installed new MoBo now OS won't boot...

Last response: in Motherboards
July 7, 2012 12:04:04 AM

I bought an additional GPU to run an xfire setup. However the mobo I had (Asus M4a88td-v EVO) only had one pcie x16 and one x4 so I decided to upgrade my mobo too (M5a99fx Pro R2.0). I did a little reading about swapping before I did it and for the most part of what I saw people said that it was hit and miss about wheather or not I would need to do a clean install of OS. Most posts indicated that if I wasn't changing types of CPUs that I would prob be ok. So I decided to go ahead and change it out and keep my fingers crossed. Unfortunately after installing, windows would not boot all the way. It gets to the windows screen just before the log on screen then in tells me windows could not boot and gives me the option to repair. I try that and it tells me that it was unable to repair and gives me the option to send info to Microsoft. After hitting the finish button it will shutdown.

I've seen other posts like this that identify the problem but what are my options to fix it. I've seen people say that a clean install is the way to go. Is that my only option? If so, how do I go about doing that since its already installed on my sad

Don't known if its relavant but here is my setup;
Phenom ii 980 be
Asus M5a99fx pro r2.0
Crossfired 5870 eyefinity 6 editions
Corsair vengeance 4x4gb 1600
Corsair force gt 120gb ssd boot drive w/ WD 1tb 7200 sata 6 storage drive
Windows 7 x64

Thanks for reading.

More about : installed mobo boot

a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 12:36:58 AM

First is your power supply enought to run 2 power hungry video cards?
Could you tell us brand and wattage?

As far as boot goes .
First check the chipset mode in the bios for your SATA ports. It needs to be set the same as your last motherboard when windows was installed, hopefully AHCI and not IDE.
After setting this try to boot.
If a no go.
Boot into safe mode and uninstall the AMD drivers for the motherboard and any sata,usb eternet drivers that are different than the new motherboard.
When done boot into windows and install the new motherboard, ethernet, usb etc...drivers.
m
l
July 7, 2012 4:08:51 AM

I have a corsair gaming series 800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). All the wattage calculators I looked at said that would suffice. Is that accurate?

When I initially installed windows, I installed it on The Force GT SSD - C drive. after I got my basic daily use programs,few games and all my drivers installed to the C drive, I changed the registry so that all future program installs would default to the WD 1tb drive - x drive instead. Any chance that's causing this?
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2012 4:25:10 AM

I also changed the boot order to the SSD, so that's not it.
m
l
July 7, 2012 5:05:00 AM

Both ssd amd hdd were set to ahci, when trying to boot in safe mode from command prompt, givesame error saying cannot boot windows normally. Any ideas?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 10:45:59 AM

In the bios make sure the sata ports are set to AHCI, not IDE/ACHI if you are sure this was how windows was originally installed.
The power supply is good for two cards no worries there.
Remove one video card,all sticks of ram except 1. unhook hard drive and try to boot into safe mode. Using F8 -which gives advanced options. Then choose "Safe Mode."
Uninstall the AMD drivers for the motherboard and any sata,usb eternet drivers that are different than the new motherboard.
When done boot into windows and install the new motherboard, ethernet, usb etc...drivers.
Now add ram and boot.
add hard drive and boot.
Add second video card and boot.
We are trying to make minimal changes each time to ensure windows will boot and install drivers,
This aslo will tell you if a piece of hardware has a problem.
m
l
!