Changing Hard Drives on Laptops - How difficult ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 2:47:03 AM

I have a Dell Latitude X200 and am considering upgrading the h/d but
have never opened a latop before and am therefore wondering just how
difficult this operation may be.

I am OK with desktop surgery but laptops are new territory for me.

Is this an " Operation Too Far " or is it "No Big Deal" ?

Any comment appreciated.

B.N.
July 7, 2005 2:47:04 AM

admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:
: I have a Dell Latitude X200 and am considering upgrading the h/d but
: have never opened a latop before and am therefore wondering just how
: difficult this operation may be.

: I am OK with desktop surgery but laptops are new territory for me.

: Is this an " Operation Too Far " or is it "No Big Deal" ?

: Any comment appreciated.

Depends on the laptop. The older ones may not be designed to allow
easy access to the hard drive. Newer ones are much much better.
Replacing my Toshiba 1415's 30GB drive today was incredibly easy:

- remove one screw to expose bottom panel and hard drive.
- unplug the drive from the connector
- remove the drive and support bracket from the laptop
- remove the four screws holding the bracket to the drive and remove
the drive
- insert new drive following these steps backwards.

Hardware replacement time: 5 minutes or less.

Can't speak for your Dell. Can you find info on their website showing
where the drive is located on the Dell website? Are there any panels
on the bottom where the drive might live and you can easily expose?

Restoring a backup image or Windows from recover disks could take much
longer than the hardware process, hours perhaps.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

On most laptops, you don't open the laptop. Usually there is a hard
drive access panel, one or two screws and it's right there.

If you have one of the relatively few laptops on which you do have to
"open" the laptop itself, then forget it. However this would be very
uncommon.

admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude X200 and am considering upgrading the h/d but
> have never opened a latop before and am therefore wondering just how
> difficult this operation may be.
>
> I am OK with desktop surgery but laptops are new territory for me.
>
> Is this an " Operation Too Far " or is it "No Big Deal" ?
>
> Any comment appreciated.
>
> B.N.
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 3:07:11 AM

I think the X200 is an ultra-compact laptop, so size may be an issue.

> On most laptops, you don't open the laptop. Usually there is a hard drive
> access panel, one or two screws and it's right there.
>
> If you have one of the relatively few laptops on which you do have to
> "open" the laptop itself, then forget it. However this would be very
> uncommon.
>

> admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:
>> I have a Dell Latitude X200 and am considering upgrading the h/d but
>> have never opened a latop before and am therefore wondering just how
>> difficult this operation may be.
>>
>> I am OK with desktop surgery but laptops are new territory for me.
>>
>> Is this an " Operation Too Far " or is it "No Big Deal" ?
>>
>> Any comment appreciated.
>>
>> B.N.
July 7, 2005 7:42:48 AM

Search google "x200 hard drive replacement" and you will find your
answer. It looks a little more difficult than most I've seen but
certainly within scope of most do-it-yourselfers.

admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude X200 and am considering upgrading the h/d but
> have never opened a latop before and am therefore wondering just how
> difficult this operation may be.
>
> I am OK with desktop surgery but laptops are new territory for me.
>
> Is this an " Operation Too Far " or is it "No Big Deal" ?
>
> Any comment appreciated.
>
> B.N.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 3:15:39 PM

On 6 Jul 2005 22:11:53 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:

>admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:
>: I have a Dell Latitude X200 and am considering upgrading the h/d but
>: have never opened a latop before and am therefore wondering just how
>: difficult this operation may be.
>
>: I am OK with desktop surgery but laptops are new territory for me.
>
>: Is this an " Operation Too Far " or is it "No Big Deal" ?
>
>: Any comment appreciated.
>
>Depends on the laptop. The older ones may not be designed to allow
>easy access to the hard drive. Newer ones are much much better.
>Replacing my Toshiba 1415's 30GB drive today was incredibly easy:
>
>- remove one screw to expose bottom panel and hard drive.
>- unplug the drive from the connector
>- remove the drive and support bracket from the laptop
>- remove the four screws holding the bracket to the drive and remove
> the drive
>- insert new drive following these steps backwards.
>
>Hardware replacement time: 5 minutes or less.

I can replace the drive in my Acer laptop with no tools.

>Can't speak for your Dell. Can you find info on their website showing
>where the drive is located on the Dell website? Are there any panels
>on the bottom where the drive might live and you can easily expose?
>
>Restoring a backup image or Windows from recover disks could take much
>longer than the hardware process, hours perhaps.
>
>Andrew
>--
>----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info