What happens if OLD system is overheated?

Paulius_J

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hello, what would happen if heatsink fell of the AMD K6-2? would it heat up and start a fire or would it turn off somehow? i know that old systems does not have overheating protection.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

It would start a fire.
I myself had seen 2000 fires started from bad applications of heatsinks and seen over 1400 burned because of them.The rest of the mates that i had seen also had there faces hideously burned and disfigured due to the fact that the cpu was soo hot that it shot itself like a bullet right off the motherboard and went through their cheeks, jaws etc.

Kidding.In fact nothing would happen but as 13th monkey said it would damage the cpu if you didnt try to fix it and if you didnt use effort to reapply the hsf it would possibly damage your cpu.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

If the cpu didnt have thermal protection most likely you would have a dead cpu on your hands.

Paulius_J

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

And i almost started believing you, good joke, overclocked cpu without heatsink can actually explode.
Thank you all for your answers. This K6-2 is for a small ftp server, it does not have an overheating protection and it does not have heat sensor, i can't see temperature but heatsink is placed properly with good thermal paste, so i don't know if it's a good idea to use it, but i get a good feeling when making use of such old school components, maybe i should get a gsm fire (smoke) alarm..

Paulius_J

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
That's correct, i couldn't find heat autoshutdown in bios. I wonder if this system would shutdown somehow after burning cpu, because it's server and there is no one to see smoke. Good thing there is just a tiny possibility for something like that to happen.

Now i think it's a good idea to install a web camera in server room and observe it using skype calls.