Does my comp support ddr5

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrysh

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Hello,
I am running an old dell precision workstation with original mobo and upgraded to a ddr5 memory graphics card. It says the memory on the G.c. isnt available w/the gpu meter I'm using. any suggestions?

Solution
Ok so it's definitely an upgrade.

Right now I would have to say the PSU isn't able to give it enough juice. I think it recommends a 500W PSU, which you won't actually need that much but it kind of covers it's ass if you buy a low quality one that doesn't have a lot of amperage on the 12V rail. I've seen it happen several times that the card can't get enough power so the speed just isn't there.

If you get a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic PSU you could make do with a 450W model for sure, probably a 400W would work.

Also make sure you remove the Nvidia drivers.

byrysh

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

Ive got msi after burner and the shader clock isnt available. my psu is only 375w... and it takes a 6 pin power caqble,(which I have) but my frame rate isnt any better THen zotac gt220 ddr3. Ive got the latest drivers from amd i could find. thx for the help Btw :hello:

AMD cards don't have a "shader clock" that's why.

What card did you put in there?

You might need a new PSU.

Ok so it's definitely an upgrade.

Right now I would have to say the PSU isn't able to give it enough juice. I think it recommends a 500W PSU, which you won't actually need that much but it kind of covers it's ass if you buy a low quality one that doesn't have a lot of amperage on the 12V rail. I've seen it happen several times that the card can't get enough power so the speed just isn't there.

If you get a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic PSU you could make do with a 450W model for sure, probably a 400W would work.

Also make sure you remove the Nvidia drivers.

Solution

byrysh

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

Im goin to build a rig from scratch and use the GC in it. so ty for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.