Toshiba Satellite: how do I replace a single key?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 4:04:51 AM

The B key fell off and I can't for the life of me snap it back into place.
I'm wondering if the key securements are broken? Any idea how to get it
back on there?
July 8, 2005 1:13:39 AM

if your lucky sometimes epoxy will work.

"Nocturnal" <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote in message
news:D k_ye.8542$3o4.995@tornado.socal.rr.com...
> The B key fell off and I can't for the life of me snap it back into place.
> I'm wondering if the key securements are broken? Any idea how to get it
> back on there?

July 8, 2005 2:05:49 AM

From experience it is very difficult to replace one even if it is not
broken.
The small lugs usually break off when the key is removed or comes off.
Toshiba wanted £150 to replace it and involved a new keyboard as they said
it wasn't effective to just replace one key.
Look out for a replacement on EBay or a local supplier.
Mikey

"Nocturnal" <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote in message
news:D k_ye.8542$3o4.995@tornado.socal.rr.com...
> The B key fell off and I can't for the life of me snap it back into place.
> I'm wondering if the key securements are broken? Any idea how to get it
> back on there?

a b D Laptop
July 8, 2005 7:09:14 AM

Quite the contrary, I've had no trouble replacing them, and have
replaced dozens and dozens.

There are people on E-Bay who are "parting out" old keyboards on a
key-for-key basis at $1 to $4 per key. You get all of the parts
associated with and needed for that key.

As to "how", well, first , there are over a dozen different Toshiba
keyboard types (just types of keys, not counting layout and cableing,
which makes it hundreds), and it's almost impossible to describe in
print. Some are far more difficult than others.

!