Sign in with
Your question

New system help for $800

Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2011 4:16:13 PM

Hello,
I would like to update my current desktop built in 2007.
My daily usage is fairly light and common: surfing, music, BDs.
Other activities are web programming, photoshop (for web design) that basically requires zero more power..
I don't play games . The important part for me is that I do a lot of video/audio editing with Adobe premiere/after effects of 1080p videos and video encoding in general. I know that to get the best of out it I should go with SSD or fast rpm drives but I can't afford to go over $800.

What I came up with is:

CPU: AMD x6 1090t
HDD: 1TBx2 RAID0 + 500GB (?)
GPU: Nvidia GTS 450 (for CUDA acceleration in Premiere PRO)
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz

I'm not sure if that CPU is the right option for me, checking the benchmarks I can see that the 1090t takes advantages of the 6 cores for video encoding but the Intels also have HT and come really close and are better for other daily tasks, but the Intel platforms cost too much :(  Is there a "cheap" quadcore + ht intel cpu that come close in price/performance with the 1090t so that I can retain fast encoding and good daily tasks too? With the AMD it just seems that you get the best out of "6 cores" app and below average performance for the rest.

Another dilemma is the HDD part. I never used RAID and I don't know how to organize them. I like to partition the OS (windows 7) and then have another big partition for data storage (currently on the same HDD). In this case it would preferable to have RAID 0 to take advantage of the double* speed during video editing (which would help a LOT). Could I use the RAID 0 for storage too? I read that the lifetime of HDDs in RAID gets reduced, is that risky? Should I use "temp" RAID HDDs only for video editing and use single HDD for storage? That would also raise the price.
Can I partition RAID arrays? For example use a part for the OS (is it even worth it? ) and the rest for editing. Will it decrease performance?

Sorry for the thousand questions :) 
thank you

More about : system 800

July 16, 2011 4:34:44 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

Now, let's talk. First thing I need you to do is fill in this form. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... It condenses the information we need into a standard format.
And also, I think it would be better to go with an i5-2400 (or 2500k for OCing) as it will outperform the 1090t, even when in a video editing enviroment.

Next, you want a GTX 460 minimum I think for editing. The extra CUDA cores are totally worth it.

Can't help with RAID, but I do know you don't want to use RAID 0 for storage, since you have double the failure rate. When one drive goes, so does the other.

Cheers!
July 16, 2011 5:07:32 PM

Hello!
thank you for help. I see that going with that option doesn't raise the price that much.
A problem I see is that all the mobo for that CPU support DDR3 till 1333mhz only, why?
Related resources
July 16, 2011 5:16:51 PM

It's a matter of OC. Most Z68 mobo (all) support OCed ram using Intel's XMP profile. That means they support up to 1866 ram. But really, just shoot for 1333 or 1600, as you dont need more.
July 16, 2011 5:29:58 PM

If I get a P67 mobo that supports 1600Mhz with a Intel processor that officially supports up to 1333mhz and I get the ram running at 1600mhz without changing the CPU speed, will this be an overclock? I don't want to overclock.

Another thing: how's the current reputation of the Asrock motherboards, the cheapest brand basically. I had 2 of them (same model) and both started to not boot randomly and eventually stopped working at all for no reason.

If someone could give some advise about the RAID/HDD problem... :) 

Thank you :sarcastic: 
July 16, 2011 5:33:15 PM

striker410 said:

Can't help with RAID, but I do know you don't want to use RAID 0 for storage, since you have double the failure rate. When one drive goes, so does the other.

Cheers!

I never got this. If I use 2x500GB drives in RAID 0 if one fails the other goes too (so all the data is lost). But I use a single 1TB HDD and this fails don't I lose everything anyway? What's the difference?
July 16, 2011 5:36:37 PM

It's technically overclocking, but it's not. You don't have to mess with the CPU speed at all, just increase the MHz on the ram. It's 100% safe.

ASRock is a fine brand. I have used one, and it was top notch quality.
July 16, 2011 5:39:29 PM

-sandro- said:
I never got this. If I use 2x500GB drives in RAID 0 if one fails the other goes too (so all the data is lost). But I use a single 1TB HDD and this fails don't I lose everything anyway? What's the difference?

The difference is you have say, a 2% chance of the drive failing. When you have 2 drives, you have a 4% chance of it failing.
July 16, 2011 5:41:55 PM

Thank you for your help
!