Your question
Closed

HD 6850 & Starcraft 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2011 6:28:46 AM

System Specs:
Intel i5-2500 Processor
4GB Corsair Value DDR3-1333 RAM
Powercolor 1GB HD 6850 (11.4 Catalyst Drivers)
Windows 7 64 Bit
600GB Caviar Black HD 64 MB Cache
GIGABYTE H67MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard
ANTEC TP-650W Continuous PSU

Currently I'm running Starcraft 2 @ 1600x900 Resolution, and have been experiencing some serious fps drops in game. Even when I lower resolutions, and play with the lowest Starcraft 2 settings, I still get serious FPS drops (even in 1 on 1AI games). It's a little strange because SC2 ran perfectly on low and medium settings 2 weeks ago, but now it's very choppy. By choppy I mean that FPS goes from 125 and drops down to 40-45 and sometimes even to 3-12 fps. I've been reading online that the HD6850 has some problems with SC2, but generally people who own the card, approve of the HD6850 for Starcraft 2, so I can't seem to figure out why I'm getting these FPS problems.

Also I have tried running other programs like Dragon Age 2, and have experienced similiar problems. For example Dragon Age 2 once ran flawlessly on Very High, w/o any problems, and now experiences similiar FPS drops as well. These drops occur even without big battles.

I'm thinking of reformatting, but I also don't think it's a virus problem (Performed Scans with Malware Bytes/Avast/AVG). I have checked my GPU and temps are normal when I run SC2 (maybe even too low @ around 42 degree Celsius). I submitted a report to Blizzard and hopefully they can help sort this out.

But if anyone from the TH community has any suggestions please help!

More about : 6850 starcraft

May 6, 2011 6:42:34 AM

HELLO,
I THINK RADEON HD SERIES R NOT ENOUGH POWER FULL FOR HIGH END GAMING I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN CALL OF DUTY 5 I HAVE XFX HD 4650 1GB AND ITS LOT SLOWER THEN MY EXPECTATIONS PLUS IT CANT EVEN RUN RESIDENT EVIL5 ON BOTH DX VERSION IT CRASH ON STARTUP.EVEN IT CANT HANDLE MAX SETTING ON NFS MOSTWANTED AND HALF LIFE 2 THESE R GAMES OF PAST 6 YEARS BUT ATI STILL DROP FPS IN THEASE GAMES.
Score
May 6, 2011 6:50:09 PM

SHERAN KHAN said:
HELLO,
I THINK RADEON HD SERIES R NOT ENOUGH POWER FULL FOR HIGH END GAMING I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN CALL OF DUTY 5 I HAVE XFX HD 4650 1GB AND ITS LOT SLOWER THEN MY EXPECTATIONS PLUS IT CANT EVEN RUN RESIDENT EVIL5 ON BOTH DX VERSION IT CRASH ON STARTUP.EVEN IT CANT HANDLE MAX SETTING ON NFS MOSTWANTED AND HALF LIFE 2 THESE R GAMES OF PAST 6 YEARS BUT ATI STILL DROP FPS IN THEASE GAMES.

LOL

Radeon makes the fastest video card on the planet sir, you don't know what your talking about.

You have a 4650, which is an extremely LOW end video card, what do you expect? You probably have a very slow processor as well.

He has a 6850, which is almost as fast as my 5850. It should have no problem running any game on ultra settings at that resolution except maybe Crysis, Metro and STALKER.

Score
Related resources
May 6, 2011 8:31:41 PM

stn89 said:
System Specs:
Intel i5-2500 Processor
4GB Corsair Value DDR3-1333 RAM
Powercolor 1GB HD 6850 (11.4 Catalyst Drivers)
Windows 7 64 Bit
600GB Caviar Black HD 64 MB Cache
GIGABYTE H67MA-D2H-B3 Motherboard
ANTEC TP-650W Continuous PSU

Currently I'm running Starcraft 2 @ 1600x900 Resolution, and have been experiencing some serious fps drops in game. Even when I lower resolutions, and play with the lowest Starcraft 2 settings, I still get serious FPS drops (even in 1 on 1AI games). It's a little strange because SC2 ran perfectly on low and medium settings 2 weeks ago, but now it's very choppy. By choppy I mean that FPS goes from 125 and drops down to 40-45 and sometimes even to 3-12 fps. I've been reading online that the HD6850 has some problems with SC2, but generally people who own the card, approve of the HD6850 for Starcraft 2, so I can't seem to figure out why I'm getting these FPS problems.

Also I have tried running other programs like Dragon Age 2, and have experienced similiar problems. For example Dragon Age 2 once ran flawlessly on Very High, w/o any problems, and now experiences similiar FPS drops as well. These drops occur even without big battles.

I'm thinking of reformatting, but I also don't think it's a virus problem (Performed Scans with Malware Bytes/Avast/AVG). I have checked my GPU and temps are normal when I run SC2 (maybe even too low @ around 42 degree Celsius). I submitted a report to Blizzard and hopefully they can help sort this out.

But if anyone from the TH community has any suggestions please help!

My hd6850 runs SC2 at max flawlessly. I think you might be running out of RAM. I get an average of 80FPS with the game maxed with 1280x1024. Maybe update the drivers.
SHERAN KHAN said:
HELLO,

As for you, you have no idea what you are talking about. You have an older, weaker video card. The hd6990 is the best card in the world. The GTX 590 and hd6990 are neck and neck and the best GPUs ever made. Just because you card can't run it doesn't mean his is weak. Do your research before you start talking about things you don't know about.
Score
May 6, 2011 9:22:28 PM

I'm not surprised you get 80fps at 1280x1024. A 6850 is a waste at that resolution because most of the load is on the cpu.
Score
May 7, 2011 1:57:46 AM

geekapproved said:
I'm not surprised you get 80fps at 1280x1024. A 6850 is a waste at that resolution because most of the load is on the cpu.

Yup, I know. SC2 isn't very demanding though. My CPU is holding my GPU back anyway, so even if I ran at a higher res, I would still be able to attain high FPS.
Score
May 7, 2011 2:11:53 AM

Just finished debugging my computer parts, oddly enough I took apart my computer, and reassembled it and all the problems were solved.

Back to getting 100+ FPS on SC2.

Cheers Guys! Problem solved.
Score

Best solution

May 7, 2011 3:21:29 AM

stn89 said:
Just finished debugging my computer parts, oddly enough I took apart my computer, and reassembled it and all the problems were solved.

Back to getting 100+ FPS on SC2.

Cheers Guys! Problem solved.

AWESOME! Nice fix, would have never thought that taking everything apart would do the trick! Good work! ;)  :D  :) 
May 7, 2011 2:12:08 PM

HostileDonut said:
AWESOME! Nice fix, would have never thought that taking everything apart would do the trick! Good work! ;)  :D  :) 

Taking it apart and putting it back together would have no effect unless there was a loose connection somewhere, which would have been caught had he checked the connections.
Score
May 7, 2011 5:08:39 PM

geekapproved said:
Taking it apart and putting it back together would have no effect unless there was a loose connection somewhere, which would have been caught had he checked the connections.

Exactly, and it worked... That is why I am congratulation him.
Score
May 19, 2011 2:41:35 AM

Best answer selected by stn89.
Score
May 19, 2011 6:23:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!