Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Compaq 722 Laptop

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 1:08:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptop,comp.laptops (More info?)

Evening all

I am having some troubles with the above mentioned machine, and am
hoping that someone on here will be able to help me:)  Allow me to
explain the situation:

I received the laptop from a friend that was malfunctioning. I
couldn't at first diagnose the problem, nor could I see anything
obviously wrong, so we couldn't fix it at the time. The machine looked
like it was almost doing something as the power light would come on, it
simply wouldn't do anything.

Then I stumbled onto the fact that if you tapped it on it's side, it
would work, and you may or may not need to tap it the next time you
booted it.

Eventually, upon even closer inspection, I found what I believed to be
the problem. There were hairline cracks in the processor (amd Duron
1.1ghz) so I ordered another one replaced it, and it was working fine.

Fast forward a few months, everything was working fine, until one
night. The machine was up and running, someone was using it. Then the
machine froze. No problem, we went to reboot....Same as before. The
power light comes on (as well as the battery charging lights when
plugged in) but it doesn't do anything. For lack of inspiration, I
ordered a new processor from the net. Didn't work. Sent it back to the
company, they said the processor was dead, so they sent another one.
Today I got the latest one, still the same problem. I can't really rule
out the new processor as being DOA, but I thought the chance of 2 DOA
processors was pretty slim.

I hope that someone out here might have some thoughts, because it is
just driving me nuts, and I _really_ want a laptop again :)  It's summer
and sitting on the back balcony, looking over the water and playing over
wireless internet would greatly please me:) 

Thanks in advance:) 

Wayne

More about : compaq 722 laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 3:53:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptop,comp.laptops (More info?)

Enesha Fairluck wrote:
> Evening all
>
> I am having some troubles with the above mentioned machine, and am
> hoping that someone on here will be able to help me:)  Allow me to
> explain the situation:
>
> I received the laptop from a friend that was malfunctioning.

Maybe they should see a doctor;)

> I
> couldn't at first diagnose the problem, nor could I see anything
> obviously wrong, so we couldn't fix it at the time. The machine looked
> like it was almost doing something as the power light would come on, it
> simply wouldn't do anything.
>
> Then I stumbled onto the fact that if you tapped it on it's side,
> it would work, and you may or may not need to tap it the next time you
> booted it.
>
> Eventually, upon even closer inspection, I found what I believed to
> be the problem. There were hairline cracks in the processor (amd Duron
> 1.1ghz) so I ordered another one replaced it, and it was working fine.
>
> Fast forward a few months, everything was working fine, until one
> night. The machine was up and running, someone was using it. Then the
> machine froze. No problem, we went to reboot....Same as before. The
> power light comes on (as well as the battery charging lights when
> plugged in) but it doesn't do anything. For lack of inspiration, I
> ordered a new processor from the net. Didn't work. Sent it back to the
> company, they said the processor was dead, so they sent another one.
> Today I got the latest one, still the same problem. I can't really rule
> out the new processor as being DOA, but I thought the chance of 2 DOA
> processors was pretty slim.
>
> I hope that someone out here might have some thoughts, because it is
> just driving me nuts, and I _really_ want a laptop again :)  It's summer
> and sitting on the back balcony, looking over the water and playing over
> wireless internet would greatly please me:) 
>
> Thanks in advance:) 
>
> Wayne

If the power supply was malfunctioning and putting out too much voltage for
the CPU, it would get hot and crack. If you get it working next time, run a
logging tool for cpu temperature and voltage.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 3:53:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptop,comp.laptops (More info?)

Russell Shaw wrote:
> Enesha Fairluck wrote:
>
>> Evening all
>>
>> I am having some troubles with the above mentioned machine, and am
>> hoping that someone on here will be able to help me:)  Allow me to
>> explain the situation:
>>
>> I received the laptop from a friend that was malfunctioning.
>
>
> Maybe they should see a doctor;)
>
Eh you know, we just rebooted her and she was fine ;) 

<snip>

>
> If the power supply was malfunctioning and putting out too much voltage for
> the CPU, it would get hot and crack. If you get it working next time, run a
> logging tool for cpu temperature and voltage.

I'll give that a try when / if I get it to work again. It was getting a
bit hot. I am running Mandrake Linux on it, and I could never quite
get the power management working properly. If you don't set it exactly
correct, the machine wouldn't boot past a point....I was working on it
though:)  I also tried to not let it get too hot, and added some thermal
grease to the cpu when I replaced it....

The trick is getting it to run again...

heh
Related resources
July 7, 2005 3:53:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptop,comp.laptops (More info?)

Enesha Fairluck wrote:
> Russell Shaw wrote:
>
>> Enesha Fairluck wrote:
>>
>>> Evening all
>>>
>>> I am having some troubles with the above mentioned machine, and
>>> am hoping that someone on here will be able to help me:)  Allow me to
>>> explain the situation:
>>>
>>> I received the laptop from a friend that was malfunctioning.
>>
>>
>>
>> Maybe they should see a doctor;)
>>
> Eh you know, we just rebooted her and she was fine ;) 
>
> <snip>
>
>>
>> If the power supply was malfunctioning and putting out too much
>> voltage for
>> the CPU, it would get hot and crack. If you get it working next time,
>> run a
>> logging tool for cpu temperature and voltage.
>
>
> I'll give that a try when / if I get it to work again. It was getting a
> bit hot. I am running Mandrake Linux on it, and I could never quite
> get the power management working properly. If you don't set it exactly
> correct, the machine wouldn't boot past a point....I was working on it
> though:)  I also tried to not let it get too hot, and added some thermal
> grease to the cpu when I replaced it....
>
> The trick is getting it to run again...
>
> heh
Common problem with Presario 700 series laptops is the heat transfer pad
Remove the heatspreader and inspect the pad. If it is a silver colour
you will probably find that it is no longer smooth and has bubbled in
places. The Compaq replacement is a lead like heat transfer pad but you
may get by with a good quality heat transfer paste. Also go to
www.hp.com and download the battery/keyboard controller BIOS update
(SP23287). Create a boot diskette as per instructions and update.

I hope the display hinges are holding out OK.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 3:53:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptop,comp.laptops (More info?)

Graeme wrote:
> Enesha Fairluck wrote:
>
>> Russell Shaw wrote:
>>
>>> Enesha Fairluck wrote:
>>>
>>>> Evening all
>>>>

<snip>

> Common problem with Presario 700 series laptops is the heat transfer pad
> Remove the heatspreader and inspect the pad. If it is a silver colour
> you will probably find that it is no longer smooth and has bubbled in
> places. The Compaq replacement is a lead like heat transfer pad but you
> may get by with a good quality heat transfer paste. Also go to
> www.hp.com and download the battery/keyboard controller BIOS update
> (SP23287). Create a boot diskette as per instructions and update.
>
> I hope the display hinges are holding out OK.

Hinges are doing fine. I have an older laptop from them that the hinges
went on, and I had to replace. I'll check into replacing the pad,
though I do use transfer paste.

I will get the BIOS update when I can....However the problem remains,
that I cannot get it to boot, period. Press power, power light comes
on, nothing happens. Doesn't touch the dvdrom, doesn't flash the
screen, it just doesn't make it past that point.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 4:57:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptop,comp.laptops (More info?)

Enesha Fairluck wrote:
> Russell Shaw wrote:
>
>> Enesha Fairluck wrote:
>>
>>> Evening all
>>>
>>> I am having some troubles with the above mentioned machine, and
>>> am hoping that someone on here will be able to help me:)  Allow me to
>>> explain the situation:
>>>
>>> I received the laptop from a friend that was malfunctioning.
>>
>> Maybe they should see a doctor;)
>>
> Eh you know, we just rebooted her and she was fine ;) 
>
> <snip>
>
>> If the power supply was malfunctioning and putting out too much
>> voltage for
>> the CPU, it would get hot and crack. If you get it working next time,
>> run a
>> logging tool for cpu temperature and voltage.
>
> I'll give that a try when / if I get it to work again. It was getting a
> bit hot. I am running Mandrake Linux on it, and I could never quite
> get the power management working properly. If you don't set it exactly
> correct, the machine wouldn't boot past a point....I was working on it
> though:)  I also tried to not let it get too hot, and added some thermal
> grease to the cpu when I replaced it....
>
> The trick is getting it to run again...
>
> heh

It does sound like a software problem of not switching the fan on. Make sure
you have the acpi or apm daemons installed and the kernel or modules enabled
for apm/acpi to monitor the temperature and control the fan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 7, 2005 4:57:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptop,comp.laptops (More info?)

Russell Shaw wrote:
> Enesha Fairluck wrote:
>
>> Russell Shaw wrote:
>>
>>> Enesha Fairluck wrote:
<snip>

> It does sound like a software problem of not switching the fan on. Make
> sure
> you have the acpi or apm daemons installed and the kernel or modules
> enabled
> for apm/acpi to monitor the temperature and control the fan.

Yes, I was working on getting acpi to work. There were some very
specific instructions regarding that, however I could never quite make
them work...
!