Solved

Canada Computers sale: What I bought, will it work?

I had just got home from Canada Computers' one day sale with a brand new gaming setup, when I got called into work. So, instead of building my new PC, I'm here at work doing the next best thing; talking about it on the Internet.

What I got:

CPU: Intel Core-i5 2500k (2600k sold out right quick)
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
PSU: Seasonic X-660 Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold (The 880W sold out)
GPU: Sapphire HD Radeon 6970 2GB (Is like the size of my forearm)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
SSD: OCZ Vertex2 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24"
DVD: Samsung Black 22x DVD

Total paid: ~$1400 CAD after tax.

Questions:

Since I put this together in a hurry (while keeping in mind that I can return anything within 14 days for a full refund), I didn't thoroughly investigate everything, hence I need some help.

Is a 660W PSU (80+, Fully Modular) enough for this running at clock speeds? Is it enough to OC the CPU?

I glanced at the Radeon real quick, I think I saw an 8-pin and a 6-pin connector, side-by-side. Will this PSU support this connection? The PSU has "4 PCI-E 8/6 Pin" cables.

Is there anything special one should know/understand about using a modular power supply, or does everything connect the same as any other PSU?

I also noticed that the Radeon came with a couple molex/power cables. Are these for the GPU cooler? Is this card going to be a tedious install/set-up for a novice builder?

I know these are all questions that I could research myself/consult my manual on, but being at work makes both of those options pretty tough - plus, I like discussions!

Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about canada computers sale bought work
  1. I'd say the psu is going to be good enough for that,
    not too sure on the overclocking headroom you'll have though
    the 6970 came with adaptors, thats in case your psu doesn't have enough dedicated pcie powerlines, you use them from molex lines instead but if you have the needed pcie lines already on the psu, you wont need them
    and according to http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_560-660-760-850.htm your good as is,
    modulars are easy, the shape fits into the connector so you can't (disclaimer) mess it up
    all looks good man, enjoy the build (not work, work sucks hehe)
    Moto
  2. Very helpful reply, thank you!

I suppose this could be an obvious answer, but is one of the appeals of the modular power supply that I only need connect the specific cables I plan on using, while leaving the unused cables, and therefore unused sockets on the PSU empty? That is assuming I will have unused cables.

Seeing as I spent $99.00 on the PSU, I think I got a pretty good deal, but is there something you'd suggest I exchange it for? Or would it be a sensible investment to spend a little more on something for OC'ing headroom?

Again, all stuff I'm sure I could read in the manual, but since I don't have it with me, and do have spare time... I figured I'd ask anyway.
  3. Best answer
    Yes thats one of the 'bonuses' of a modular,
    I personally chose a non-modular for my latest build as I can make it tidier that way,
    but I'm wierd hehe
    Thats got good amps on the 12v rail for the graphics so I reckon you should be ok,
    if you plan on crossfiring in the future though, maybe an 850w is more in line, Corsairs Tx/Ax's (Ax modular,Tx non) are nice, seasonic and antec are also trusted brands as well, I'd keep the one you have for now but read up on them and decide how much your going to ask your rig to do, now and in the future,
    but http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ can help you plan psu needs on a build, as a guideline ofc, not gospel but always give yourself a little headroom
    Moto
  4. Best answer selected by mxwxb.
  5. Thank you for B.A. man, Glad to help pass the work day away hehe :)
    Moto
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computers Systems