Computer restarts 5-7 times before boot after seating a 5850

jd_v2

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Few weeks ago I bought the 5850 Xtreme from Sapphire (good card and runs fine). Things are frosty, temps are cool. I only have 1 thing that worries me.

Every time I boot my PC it will reboot itself 5-7 times before booting normally. Now, when it boots normally everything is fine, but i'm concerned this might cause future problems (especially if the warranty is off).

I made sure connectors are firm, reseated the ram sticks, cleaned off some dust. no go.

I put back my old video 8600GT from Nvidia and the problem stops....

I RMA'd and the new card and the new one just arrived. Same problem....

Specs:
AMD Athlon 4600+
3gigs of ram
Windows Vista 32 bit
PSU is Corsair 650TX (650Watts).

I reset the bios to normal settings and still a no go... this is a small thing (3-4 seconds extra at boot time?) but I plan to use this 5850 for a good amount of time, and I don't want it breaking on me.

any suggestions on how to fix this?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
There are always issues when jumping between Nvidia cards and AMD. Some people get lucky when changing brands, many do not...

soundefx is right on. Try Driversweeper (Google it), uninstall all nvidia and amd drivers, then run it, it doesnt hurt anything - then reinstall the LATEST AMD drivers.

I might try reseating the card as well. It should be fine now, but one never knows...

and make sure you are using a dedicated PCIe power line - dont share a power line with other devices..

jd_v2

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I did driversweeper during my first install (removed Nvidia Display, but kept Physx and chipset)....

PCIe lines are dedicated as well.

Also something I've noticed; The amount it restarts itself is very close to constant. I turned it off during it's 5-6th restart cycle to check the connections, and when I turned it on again, no problems....

I did the same during it's 3-4th restart cycle and it only rebooted itself a few more times before starting.

any ideas on what it is?