Sign in with
Your question

Packard Bell motherboard... about ram

Last response: in Motherboards
July 7, 2012 10:13:23 AM

Hello,
My name is Mihai and i wanted to buy some more ram for my PC for some time now, but i never quite pinned my criterias for it...
I know you merely need to know 2 things, whats your motherboard limit and what type you really can use, not to just put some ram in there and hope for the best :/ 
i have :
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
2x 1024 mb DDR PC2-6400
System Manufacturer: Packard Bell BV
System Model: MCP73VT-PM
Motherboard Manufacturer: Packard Bell BV
Motherboard Model: MCP73VT-PM
with a memory ram type of :
240 Pin DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
Still i couldn't find anything about my motherboard limits, as i want to start streaming on websites like justin.tv videos of games, but my 2gb ram is obviously is getting the best of me :/ 
Thanks and hope i get some really pinned down answers.
July 7, 2012 10:44:48 AM

You have 667MHz RAM but your motherboard's chipset can use PC2-6400 (800MHz) RAM so that will be your best bet for purchase. As for RAM density, 8GB (2x4GB) is best but also expensive on a DDR2 platform. Your best bet for a cheap upgrade is going to be 4GB (2x2GB) or 8GB (4x4GB). So let me list what I'd recommend from best (first) to worst (last).

1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3: Two kits of number two.

I did research into true 4x2GB kits (because you don't usually want to buy two separate memory kits - the modules from one batch or another don't always play nice together) and they turned out to be just as expensive as the kit in link one so I didn't include it since any time you run four RAM modules instead of two you get degraded performance because more strain is put on the memory controller with four RAM modules installed.
a c 128 V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 12:33:20 PM

"any time you run four RAM modules instead of two you get degraded performance because more strain is put on the memory controller"

This is an old wive's tale that's been floating around. I don't know how it got started, but it's just not true.
Related resources
July 7, 2012 12:45:18 PM

You're using 32 bit windows which will only recognize 4 Gb of ram including any that is on your graphics card. Unless you plan to upgrade to 64 bit windows you should purchase no more than 4 gb, if you do your system won't be able to utilize it.
July 7, 2012 8:38:38 PM

abekl said:
"any time you run four RAM modules instead of two you get degraded performance because more strain is put on the memory controller"

This is an old wive's tale that's been floating around. I don't know how it got started, but it's just not true.

Oh sure it is! Because my professors obviously didn't know what they were talking about.
a c 128 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 1:26:33 AM

Look, I don't speak from a position of authority on the subject, but knowing what little I do know about electronics it just doesn't ring true that occupying all four memory slots would place more strain the memory controller. I wish I coulsd prove my point, but alas, I am but a neophyte in electronics.
July 8, 2012 1:38:53 AM

abekl said:
Look, I don't speak from a position of authority on the subject, but knowing what little I do know about electronics it just doesn't ring true that occupying all four memory slots would place more strain the memory controller. I wish I could prove my point, but alas, I am but a neophyte in electronics.

It is possible that new integrated memory controllers don't have an "extra strain" put on them; but it's really a colloquialism for saying you get degraded performance (less measurable bandwidth and higher latency). This is only true in a single or dual channel operation. However, in quad channel it is obvious that having four memory slots populated would result in significant bandwidth gains.
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 1:25:42 AM

that should work
!