Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bulldozer vs 2500k

Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2011 6:44:20 PM

Buying one of the two november 1st. My question is, anyone have a buldozer 8120, and a 2500k? Both are 219.99$ with free shipping for me, so i needed to know what to buy.

I - game, record (the games) 3d model, and use photoshop. Of course, gaming at the top, so i want best gaming possible.

Any help would be great :) 

More about : bulldozer 2500k

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 13, 2011 6:51:00 PM

It seems the 2500k is faster stock vs stock. But whether OCing makes a big different is anybody's guess right now. I heard the new OC record is now held by an AMD FX chip.

I think either way it's going to be a good CPU. I'd say right now Intel is the way to go, but probably as the FX chips mature we'll see them getting utilized better and therefore get faster.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2011 6:51:39 PM

I usually don't recommend one company over the other, in the past they both have had good and bad. Right now the new BD chip IMO is over priced and underwhelming from a general computing standpoint, so I would recommend going with the 2500k. You'll also have the ability to upgrade to IB next year with a 6 series mobo or better.
Related resources
October 13, 2011 6:54:40 PM

I would go with the 2500K, especially if you are planning to heavily OC. Due to the fact to that in order to achieve higher clocks using the 8150/8120 AMD suggests you actually turn off three of the four "modules". Effectively making your octo-core, a dual-core.
m
l
October 13, 2011 6:59:46 PM

Right now, the i5 2600k is unbeatable when it comes to gaming, edging out the bulldozer CPU's by a large margin in many games:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review...

The trend continues in almost every other benchmark with the i7 and i5 leading and the FX chips trailing behind, usually by a noticeable margin. I don't know much about 3d modeling and Photoshop performance in regards to the CPU, but im sure the i5 is very much up to those tasks. So if gaming is your main reason for upgrading your CPU, the i5 is the way to go.
m
l
October 13, 2011 7:38:19 PM

Foxhound92 said:
Right now, the i5 2600k is unbeatable when it comes to gaming, edging out the bulldozer CPU's by a large margin in many games:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review...

The trend continues in almost every other benchmark with the i7 and i5 leading and the FX chips trailing behind, usually by a noticeable margin. I don't know much about 3d modeling and Photoshop performance in regards to the CPU, but im sure the i5 is very much up to those tasks. So if gaming is your main reason for upgrading your CPU, the i5 is the way to go.

The benchmarks using the Asus V mobo are all garbage and missleading. People are all slandering a little to early. You'll see sooner or later :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/315805-28-bought-bull...
m
l
October 13, 2011 7:47:59 PM

jonnyrb said:
The benchmarks using the Asus V mobo are all garbage and missleading. People are all slandering a little to early. You'll see sooner or later :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/315805-28-bought-bull...

Right, because AMD would knowingly package their products with a motherboard that would greatly bottleneck the performance. Then send it to all major review publications knowing that the CPU would perform poorly on said motherboard.......Makes perfect sense.
m
l
October 13, 2011 7:52:00 PM

DoomsWord89 said:
Right, because AMD would knowingly package their products with a motherboard that would greatly bottleneck the performance. Then send it to all major review publications knowing that the CPU would perform poorly on said motherboard.......Makes perfect sense.

You're correct, and beyond that every person who didn't use that same kit that shows the 8150 being superior are obviously trolls that photoshopped their results. Morale of the Story, if you buy an 8150, don't buy an Asus V Crosshair
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 13, 2011 7:56:43 PM

From what I've seen, the FX-8150 is a bit of a ripoff. It's like buying a 1100T over a 1055T, get the FX-8120 for far less and overclock it then you get value on par with the i5-2500k generally for a tiny bit cheaper.

People are saying BD is crap because all the reviews use the grossly overpriced FX-8150, BD actually turned out ok. Not great but ok.
m
l
October 13, 2011 10:09:53 PM

Best answer selected by ariscov.
m
l
October 13, 2011 10:10:25 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
I usually don't recommend one company over the other, in the past they both have had good and bad. Right now the new BD chip IMO is over priced and underwhelming from a general computing standpoint, so I would recommend going with the 2500k. You'll also have the ability to upgrade to IB next year with a 6 series mobo or better.

That's what i was thinking of doing. :)  thanks !
Ivy will be 1155 socket?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2011 11:08:32 PM

Yes 1155 will be ivy
m
l
!