Does this Power Supply work?

Solution
You're on the right track.
Yes you could add the 12V rails to see if they provide enough amps.
1.The recommended psu size is for all components in your system including the gpu.
2. Provided the psu has the required amount of pci-e connectors that's what usually determines if it's a good match with the gpu.
For example some of the higher end gpus require a 6pin and an 8(6+2)pin pci-e power connection.
If you had two cards you would look for a psu with 4 pci-e connectors.

trinaryatom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Ok ... now the inquisitive part. (so i don't have to keep asking every time i build a computer.)

How do you know if the PSU's Power Output
Output: +3.3V@30A, +5V@30A, +12V@62A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

is good enough for the Video Card's Power requirements.
Minimum 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A)

In a lot of other cases I got confused because there was, multiple 12V numbers?..?.. (12V1 12V2 12V3) all of which didn't meet what the Video Card said?
I didn't know if i should combine all 12Vs into to see if that worked or multiply numbers, or blah, blah, blah. Basically i have no idea how you guys figure this out.

So to sum it up.. i guess this boils down to two questions.

1. How do you know the video card is actually getting up to 550W?
and
2. How do you determine if the GPU works with the PSU?

(<--- Knows nothing about electricity and power)

The Information would be greatly appreciated.

You're on the right track.
Yes you could add the 12V rails to see if they provide enough amps.
1.The recommended psu size is for all components in your system including the gpu.
2. Provided the psu has the required amount of pci-e connectors that's what usually determines if it's a good match with the gpu.
For example some of the higher end gpus require a 6pin and an 8(6+2)pin pci-e power connection.
If you had two cards you would look for a psu with 4 pci-e connectors.

Solution

trinaryatom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Minimum PSU Wattage: 625 W
Recommended: 675 W
Is what that webpage suggested.

Ok, so.. Yeah.. where this whole confusion started was when i read the power requirements on the video card. I saw that i needed a certain amount of '12V Amps'. Thinking.. ok.. i need to make sure. I couldn't find any one connection 12V that had the amount needed. And if i found ones that had a HUGE single 12V, i thought. "What's the difference!!" and freaked out.

The first PSU i had lined up was this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024

And if you look at the Power Output on that one, I don't see any of those meeting the requirements of the Card.
Then if you add them together

You get a 12V@94A?

Why add them together? Are they not separate wires?
If they were separate wires.. (Assuming/thinking the 6pin were the 12V Rails) wouldn't two 6-pin added together just come up to 12V@44A?

Thank you all for the information and help thus far.

Edit: Sorry.. I had fragment sentences. Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.