Bad internetspeed on XP

davaze

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hello, i just installed XP home on a toshiba laptop. It has an internet connection through LAN with a specific ip address, gateway and dns then to connect it needs a vpn connection with the gateway address and username and password. after making that connection the LAN is able to connect to internet however the speed is terribly slow that's almost impossible to use the internet. If however i make the same connection on another laptop with xp pro then everything is ok and speed is very good. I tried different OS, xp home and xp pro but no change. I deactivated windows firewall and compared the TCP/IP settings from both laptops and they are the same, still the speed on 1 laptop is very bad and on another very good. Tried another LAN card through PCMCIA cardbus connection but also the same result. I'm really lost why on a clean installed laptop running xp home or pro the speed is very bad and on another laptop with the same connection the speed is very good. Anybody experienced to give me some advice how to proceed? Thanks.

So both laptops are using wired ethernet, one slow other one fast, both connect through same VPN connection.

Have you used the same network jack and cable to test both laptops?

Do you have the option to use wireless to try things?

davaze

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Yeah, i have two laptops here, one is my private one and another that i'm trying to put a clean windows XP on. When i connect the cable into my private laptop and connect with the same tcp/ip settings and same vpn settings (like the ISP provider described) all works perfect. But when i connect the same cable into the other laptop the connection works but the speed is terrible. Like i mentioned i also tried another LAN card through the PCMCA cardbus connection but with the same resutl.
Another OS (xp pro, clean install) no result, updated original LAN drivers, no result.
I checked and double checked the settings in the TCP/IP protocol but they are the same on both laptops and i also turned off the windows firewall just in case. However on the working laptop firewalls are turned on. The only difference in hardware between the both laptops is that the working one has an ethernet card 10/100/1000 and the non working one has 10/100 but still that should not make a difference in the internet speed here. I did a online speed test with the working laptop connected and i got a down/upload speed around 960kb/sec. When i do the same test with the non working laptop connected i can't get a result the proces bar on the website never goes beyond 0%. That terrible.
I'm lost in solving this issue. Any help is greatfully welcome!

davaze

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I finally could succesfully do an online speedtest with both laptops, working one and non working one and got the below result.

When i do the test with the working laptop i get these results which are good:

Download : 103.6 KByte/sec
Upload : 76.0 KByte/sec
Connection : 237.0 Conn/min

When i do the same test with the non working laptop, same connection and same parameters i get these results:

Download : 3.8 KByte/sec
Upload : 75.7 KByte/sec
Connection : 42.0 Conn/min

What i see is a big difference in download speed and connections, however the upload speed remains about the same. Any idea what can be the cause of my problem on this laptop with a clean installed OS XP home on it?
I'm confused and a bit lost.
Thanks.

davaze

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I already did a LAN test between the two laptops in both directions. With this direct LAN connection i was able to reach an average speed of 94Mb/s. For a LAN card from 10/100 i think it's normal and it shows me that the hardware and LAN card, LAN driver are ok. Could it be that the problems is in the VPN connection? However i use the exact same VPN settings on both laptops. Can there be a difference between the PPTP protocol? Any suggestions?

Can't help with the VPN issue, I don't work on that enough on the back end to trouble-shoot issues with it, but the fact that your upload speeds are normal probably narrow down what the issue can be. Maybe do a web search for slow download speeds but normal upload speeds.

davaze

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
*SOLVED*

Problem is temperarely solved. After some investigation together with the ISP provider it turned out that some device from their site isn't working properly as well and this causes a higher current load on the network card. This older type of card seems to have troubles dealing with these not normal high loads and newer cards and computers can deal better with it. This is why the new laptop worked good and the old one not. Ar this moment we temperarely changed the Link Speed & Duplex from Auto Detect to 10Mbps/s Full Duplex in the advanced parameters from the Network adapt to reduce the load on the network. This result in a normal internet speed again.

It sounds very technical and an engineer will come soon to check their device as well because normally this setting should work in Auto Detect as well.

When i have more info on this problem then i'll post it here.
For now the problem is sloved!

TRENDING THREADS