Solved

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ retention plate problem

I've just ordered a CM Hyper 212+ HSF and I'm trying to install it onto a GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD5 (AM3+ socket), however upon installation I find that the retention plate will not fit into the stand offs that I've installed. I've correctly set the retention plate to specify an AM3 socket, however when I so happen to just grace the entrance of the stand off, the opposite side (criss cross method) pops up, disabling me from securing that side.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooler master hyper retention plate problem
  1. can you explain this issue a little further? the backplate is in place and when you go to screw in the screws that hold the retention plate down, they pop up? You can adjust the screws to go out further.
  2. Yes the back plate is in place, and yes when I go in to secure a screw that hold the plate down the opposite side pops up a little too far from its corresponding stand off. I'm a little scared that I might be applying too much pressure if I force the other screw down. Kinda feels like the retention plate might break
  3. Best answer
    i have the exact same cooler and installed it on both a gigabyte 770 and 970 mobo, you need to use a good amount of pressure. Make sure the screws are out far enough and then push down pretty hard.
  4. I think I just needed to be told I was a man and apply a strong amount of pressure. Thank you dirtyferret, I was more inclined to put pressure on the screws and I got it installed. Much obliged
  5. Best answer selected by Deformality.
  6. dirtyferret said:
    i have the exact same cooler and installed it on both a gigabyte 770 and 970 mobo, you need to use a good amount of pressure. Make sure the screws are out far enough and then push down pretty hard.

I had the exact same problem and it was driving me mad so I installed the stock CPU fan/cooler that came with my amd 8-core 8150 (motherboard - Gigabyte 990 FXA-UD3. So the opposite side that sticks up can be forced down and it doesnt bow? I feel like either the standoffs need to be taller or it's simply in incompatibility issue. In every video I watched the retention plate screws touched the standoffs when they put the tower down on the CPU and from there they easily hand tightened all four at least a couple threads.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Socket Gigabyte Components